Trolls target EPL player's baby in sickening online attack

Troy Deeney and his baby boy have been the targets of some vile abuse. Pic: Getty

Watford captain Troy Deeney has opened up about the sickening abuse he has copped from some football fans angry about his stance on returning to training.

Deeney has been one of the league’s most high-profile stars to speak out against the resumption of training over fears for the health of his baby boy.

FOOTBALL IS BACK: Fans lose it as return dates are confirmed

'INEXCUSABLE': Shock as hundreds gather in 'virus bomb'

'DISGRACE’: Football star in $260,000 haircut controversy

The 31-year-old striker has been absent from training since Watford and other Premier League clubs returned to non-contact sessions last week.

The forward's concerns over potentially passing on COVID-19 to his five-month-old son, who has had breathing difficulties, came even before teammate Adrian Mariappa and two other Hornets staff tested positive.

But the 31-year-old found himself and his family in the firing line during Mental Health Awareness week last week.

"I saw some comments in regards to my son, people saying: 'I hope your son gets corona'," Deeney told CNN Sport.

"That's the hard part for me. If you respond to that, people then go: 'Ah, we've got him' and they keep doing it."

He added: "In a time where it's all about mental health and everyone says 'speak up, speak out, please speak', (Newcastle's) Danny Rose spoke out... and I spoke out and we just get absolutely hammered and battered for it.

"So people see that and go 'woah' and it's not just us that gets it, the missus gets direct messages and you'll be walking down the street and people will be like: 'Oh, I'm at work, you go back to work'."

Fans horrified by vile abuse of Deeney

News of the abuse Deeney has copped from online trolls and the sickening fact that it was targeted at his baby boy, have left supporters disgusted.

Deeney is understood to be due to resume training next week after Premier League clubs voted unanimously for a return to contact training.

It comes after confirmation that the Premier League will return to action on June 17, more than three months after the season was halted due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

Representatives from all 20 clubs met on Thursday, 24 hours after teams agreed to the second phase of restarting the 201Yahoo 9/20 campaign with players working in larger groups.

Squads were only allowed to restart practice sessions in small groups last week but contact and tackling is now allowed between players.

Four individuals connected to three clubs tested positive for coronavirus in the league's third round of testing, with 1008 staff from Premier League clubs tested.

Premier League chief executive Richard Masters said the date is not set in stone and fixtures would only be fulfilled if it was completely safe to do so.

with agencies