Philippines backflip on Games basketball

The Philippines have reversed a decision to pull out of the Asian Games basketball tournament following bans from the infamous brawl during their World Cup qualifier against Australia.

Philippines Basketball Association chairman Ricky Vargas says the about-turn was prompted by fans and the team will now contest the Asian Games tournament in Jakarta starting on August 19.

"We realised there is a strong clamour from our fans, so we decided to take a look at it," Vargas said in a statement. "This will be final."

Ten Philippines players were suspended for a total of 34 games while coach Vincent Reyes got a one-match ban and his assistant Joseph Uichico copped three games from world governing body FIBA after the disgraceful scenes in Bulacan on July 2.

Australian trio Daniel Kickert, Thon Maker and Chris Goulding were also suspended as result of the brawling that erupted as the Boomers surged to a big lead.

The Philippines initially withdrew from the Asian Games basketball last month with its governing body saying that it needed to focus on its appeal against the punishments.