Scottie Scheffler has withdrawn from the U.S. Open this week after testing positive for COVID-19, the USGA announced on Sunday night.
Scheffler is asymptomatic and isolating at home.
Scottie Scheffler has withdrawn from the 120th U.S. Open due to a positive COVID-19 test.— U.S. Open (USGA) (@usopengolf) September 13, 2020
“We are sorry to lose a member of the USGA family in this year’s field,” said the USGA's John Bodenhamer. “We look forward to welcoming him back to the U.S. Open for many years to come.” pic.twitter.com/CoAgr3lBKW
“We are sorry to lose a member of the USGA family in this year’s U.S. Open field, USGA senior managing director John Bodenhamer said in a statement. “Scottie has had a phenomenal rookie season and we look forward to welcoming him back to the U.S. Open Championship for many years to come.”
Branden Grace to replace Scottie Scheffler
Scheffler is just the latest golfer or caddie to have tested positive for the coronavirus since play resumed in June, though is the first to have done so in more than five weeks.
Scheffler is off to a tremendous start to his PGA Tour career. He posted seven top-10 finishes in his rookie season last year, including a third-place finish at both The American Express and Bermuda Championship. He finished T4 at The Northern Trust last month after his historic 59 in the second round, too.
The 24-year-old came in fifth at the Tour Championship last week.
Scheffler will be replaced in the field by Branden Grace. The South African has one win in his PGA Tour career, at the 2016 RBC Heritage, and finished T9 at the Waste Management Phoenix Open last season.
The U.S. Open will kick off on Thursday at Winged Foot Golf Club in New York. It was rescheduled from June due to the coronavirus pandemic.
More from Yahoo Sports: