Perre's death ends NCA bombing appeal
An appeal by Domenic Perre over his conviction for bombing the National Crime Authority office in Adelaide is set to be dismissed following his death.
Perre died in hospital on Monday while serving a life sentence for murder and attempted murder.
In the Court of Appeal in February he argued his convictions could not be sustained on the evidence and that someone else, possibly a now-dead mafia figure, could have been responsible.
The court was yet to rule on his application but its president Justice Mark Livesey convened a special hearing on Friday.
Officials later confirmed Perre's application for leave to appeal will now be dismissed.
The court will publish reasons for its decision in due course.
Earlier this week, Justice Livesey said once Perre's death was proved, usually by a death certificate, his right of appeal would abate.
"That is sometimes described as the right of appeal dying with the appellant," the judge said.
Suffering a number of serious health issues, including a heart condition and diabetes, the 66-year-old was recently transferred from prison to the Royal Adelaide Hospital.
The Department of Correctional Services confirmed Perre's death on Tuesday but did not elaborate on the cause.
He had previously undergone heart surgery.
Perre was found guilty of the murder of Detective Sergeant Geoffrey Bowen, who had been seconded to the NCA from the WA police force, and the attempted murder of lawyer Peter Wallis after a parcel bomb he built and sent exploded.
Det Sgt Bowen died at the scene from extensive injuries, including the loss of his left arm.
Mr Wallis, who was standing nearby, lost an eye and suffered severe burns in the blast. He died in 2018.
Perre's death will be regarded as happening while in custody and will be subject to a coronial inquest.
His family and lawyers are also understood to be considering a petition for mercy to clear his name following the loss of that opportunity through the appeal process.
Perre had always maintained his innocence, even after his convictions in June last year, more than 28 years after the attack.