Taylor backs Pattinson Test suspension

Roger Vaughan and Ed Jackson
James Pattinson will take a break from cricket in the aftermath of his one-game ban

Former Test captain Mark Taylor has backed the decision to suspend paceman James Pattinson as the Australian cricket team continue rebuilding its culture.

Pattinson flew home to Melbourne on Monday for a rest after he accepted a one-game ban that made him ineligible for Thursday's first Test against Pakistan at the Gabba.

Taylor resigned as a Cricket Australia board member a year ago.

"It's tough. Whether he would have played (in Brisbane) or not, I don't really know," Taylor said of Pattinson.

"I think they're setting standards for play and that's what the Australian cricket team is trying to do over the last couple of years.

"I think it's a good thing."

Pattinson pleaded guilty on Sunday to a third code of conduct breach, meaning he was served with the suspension.

Umpires reported the feisty 29-year-old quick for personal abuse of a Queensland player during last week's Sheffield Shield match at the MCG.

Pattinson is expected to rejoin his national teammates when they gather in Adelaide for the second Test starting on November 29.

Australia batsman Matthew Wade said he has had to curb his on-field behaviour and Pattinson's suspension again shows that times are changing.

"I've said publicly before that the game's changed over the 10 or 15 years... and, yeah, there's certainly nowhere near as much verbal on the ground," Wade said.

"Myself personally, I've had to tame the way I've played."

The level-two breach followed two level-one breaches by Pattinson in back-to-back Shield games in March and contributed to his ban as they fell within 18 months.

Pattinson said on Sunday there was no excuse for his actions.

"I made a mistake in the heat of the moment," he said.

"Straight away I realised I was in the wrong and I apologised immediately.

"I have done the wrong thing and accept the penalty."

Team officials emphasised the decision to send Pattinson home was about welfare and not punishment.

Pattinson's suspension all but confirms that Mitchell Starc will join Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins in an all-NSW pace attack against Pakistan.

Shane Warne said Pattinson's suspension is "a huge loss" for the Test team.

"I'd pencilled him for the first Test," Warne said.

"He was OK at the Ashes; not at his best, but he did a good job.

"I still think he's in our best three fast bowlers when he's at his best."

Speaking at a Presidents Cup golf media event in Melbourne, Taylor also backed the Test recall of batsman Joe Burns.

"It's an opportunity for Joe to try and nail that spot down," Taylor said.

"It's there for two Tests. It's up to him to make it a spot for the summer and beyond."