'Who knows': Mystery infection floors Eels sensation

NRL star Maika Sivo has been rushed home from a Fijian holiday to have emergency surgery on his hand.

The Parramatta try-scoring sensation was reportedly struck down with a mysterious infection that led to his return to Sydney for expected urgent surgery.

'CURSED WITH VISION': NRL fans mercilessly mock Warriors' new look

'HOPE HE STAYS': NRL legends caution Latrell Mitchell

The cult winger's manager Cameron Phelps said the Fijian international initially complained of discomfort with his hand before leaving for Fiji, but a series of X-rays and medical checks found nothing wrong.

However, after arriving back in Fiji, Sivo's hand "blew up" to such a worrying size, the 26-year-old was told to undergo immediate surgery.

"So we're still not exactly sure what is wrong," Phelps told Fox Sports.

Parramatta Eels star Maika Sivo has had to return to Sydney from Fiji, after discovering an infection on his hand that required urgent surgery. (Photo by Matt King/Getty Images)

"It could be a bite, who knows?

"Maika had hurt the hand before heading over to Fiji but, after undergoing some X-rays and stuff, there didn't seem to be anything really wrong with it."

Sivo flew into Nadi midway through November, having represented Fiji at the 2019 Oceania Cup tournament.

Great Britain humiliated after convincing defeat to PNG

Great Britain's underwhelming tour of the southern hemisphere came to a humiliating end when they were condemned to a 28-10 defeat by Papua New Guinea.

The Lions raced into an early 10-0 lead but conceded a try on the stroke of half-time to give the Kumuls a sniff and they capitulated in alarming fashion in a dreadful second half as their hosts ran in four tries without reply.

Great Britain, whose brand was revived in eager anticipation after a 12-year absence, struggled to cope with the humidity of Port Moresby on Saturday and the physical challenge of the Kumuls as they succumbed to only a second defeat by Papua New Guinea.

The result, which followed an opening defeat by a Tongan Invitational XIII and a two-match Test series loss to the Kiwis, piles the pressure on beleaguered head coach Wayne Bennett, whose contract with the Rugby Football League has now expired.