Advertisement

‘Pages’ of phone data in rape case

TOOWOOMBA, AUSTRALIA - NCA NewsWire Photos: JANUARY 11, 2023: **SUPPRESSION ORDER IN PLACE-SEEK LEGAL ADVICE BEFORE PUBLISHING** Lawyer Rowan King leaves Toowoomba CourtHouse. A high profile man has been charged with two counts of rape relating to an incident in October 2021. Picture: NewsWire / Sarah Marshall
A high profile man charged with raping a woman has had his case mentioned in court.

“Thousands” of pages worth of phone data have been reviewed by prosecutors in the case against a high profile man charged with raping a woman, a court has been told.

The new development in the case involving the man, whose identity remains protected under Queensland law, follows a request by his lawyers for a full forensic download of the complainant’s phone during an earlier court appearance.

Police charged the man with two counts of rape in January, alleging they stemmed from an incident in Toowoomba back in October 2021.

TOOWOOMBA, AUSTRALIA - NCA NewsWire Photos: JANUARY 11, 2023: **SUPPRESSION ORDER IN PLACE-SEEK LEGAL ADVICE BEFORE PUBLISHING** Lawyer Rowan King leaves Toowoomba CourtHouse. A high profile man has been charged with two counts of rape relating to an incident in October 2021. Picture: NewsWire / Sarah Marshall
The man, who is charged with two counts of rape, had his matter briefly mentioned at Toowoomba Magistrates Court on Wednesday, where a prosecutor revealed thousands of pages worth of phone data had been received by her office. Picture: NewsWire / Sarah Marshall

On Wednesday, crown prosecutor Nicole Friedewald told the court the phone download had been received by her office.

“It does cover many thousands of pages and the prosecution is currently working its way through that material in order to satisfy disclosure obligations,” Ms Friedewald said.

“There remains some 800 pages left to review.”

The court was told it could take another week to finish the analysis of the remaining material.

Lawyer Rowan King, acting for the man, said he did not oppose a six-week adjournment sought by the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).

“The material will need to be delivered to my office and then we need to review it,” Mr King said.

TOOWOOMBA, AUSTRALIA - NCA NewsWire Photos: JANUARY 11, 2023: **SUPPRESSION ORDER IN PLACE-SEEK LEGAL ADVICE BEFORE PUBLISHING** Lawyer Rowan King leaves Toowoomba CourtHouse. A high profile man has been charged with two counts of rape relating to an incident in October 2021. Picture: NewsWire / Sarah Marshall
Rowan King, the high profile man’s lawyer (pictured here at an earlier court appearance) said he did not oppose a six-week adjournment so the remaining material could be delivered to his office and reviewed. Picture: NewsWire / Sarah Marshall

The man’s case was adjourned to November 1.

Due to laws in Queensland preventing the identification of people charged with sexual assault or rape offences until they stand trial, the man cannot be named or formally identified.

But new state laws which allow the naming of people charged with these kinds of offences are due to come into effect from October 3.

Last month, Mr King told the court he intended to make an application to keep his client’s name suppressed.

Earlier this year several media organisations, including News Corp Australia, unsuccessfully applied to the court seeking permission to name the man in the proceedings.

That application remains before the courts.