Opposition looks to ban serial killer's parole bids
The Victorian opposition will launch a bid to make it impossible for serial killer Paul Denyer to again apply for parole.
Denyer pleaded guilty to stabbing and strangling three young women in the Melbourne bayside suburb of Frankston in 1993.
He was sentenced to life in jail with no parole but in a later appeal, a non-parole period of 30 years was set.
The parole board last week informed his victims' families it refused Denyer's application.
Opposition corrections spokesman Brad Battin on Tuesday announced the Victorian Liberals and Nationals would introduce a private member's bill to ensure Denyer could not make further bids for parole.
The bill would insert provisions mirroring those for Melbourne police bomber Craig Minogue and mass killer Julian Knight into corrections legislation.
The opposition intended to introduce the bill into parliament on Wednesday.
In a seven-week killing frenzy, Denyer stabbed and strangled Elizabeth Stevens, 18, Debbie Fream, 22, and Natalie Russell, 17.
"Paul Denyer continues to be eligible to make parole applications despite having never displayed remorse for his crimes," Mr Battin said in a statement.
"Whilst we trust the Adult Parole Board to continue to make the right decisions, we stand with the families of Natalie Russell, Elizabeth Stevens and Debbie Fream, and believe they should not be forced to relive their trauma every time a parole application is made."
Victorian MP David Limbrick, who was in a relationship with Ms Russell at the time of her death, said last week he would push to reform the parole process.