The IOC and Japanese organisers are trying to convince the public that the postponed Tokyo Olympics will take place next year despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
Tokyo organising committee CEO Toshiro Muto said last week the games could go ahead without a vaccine.
This week Australian IOC member John Coates, who oversees the Tokyo Olympics, said the games would happen despite the pandemic.
Coates is to appear on Wednesday in a virtual meeting with the IOC executive board. He is expected to give an upbeat assessment of Tokyo's prospects.
Several recent public opinion polls have shown scepticism from the Japanese public and the business community - just 24 per cent of the Japanese are in favour of holding the event next year, according to a July poll by Kyodo news agency - that the games can go on or should go on.
"We can tell you that the IOC is fully committed to celebrating the games of the 32nd Olympiad next year in Tokyo," organising committee spokesman Masa Takaya said Tuesday. "We have begun formulating the concrete steps we will take."
City, government and Tokyo Olympic officials gathered last week in the first of a string of meetings to plan for countermeasures against COVID-19. Japan has reported about 1,350 deaths from the coronavirus.
Panels will make plans to deal with possible quarantines, getting athletes into Japan, COVID-19 testing, measures to keep venues safe, anti-virus measures at the Athletes' Village and immigration issues.
They'll also consider if fans will be allowed, and if non-Japanese fans will be among them.
The IOC and local organisers have has been saying since the postponement five months ago the games will open on July 23, 2021. They were taking the same approach in March, just weeks before the Olympics were postponed.
Organisers and the IOC have given few details of how 11,000 Olympic athletes and 4,400 Paralympians will be safe in Tokyo, along with thousands of staff members, and games and technical officials.
Details are not expected until later in the year or into early 2021.
Separately on Tuesday, Olympic Minister Seiko Hashimoto said at a news conference the games must go on.
"I feel we have to hold them no matter what," the Sankei News reported her as saying.
It is believed a number of local sponsors, whose contracts end this year, are in limbo as they question the feasibility of holding the Games with limited attendances.