Newcastle striker Roy O'Donovan is set to face an independent A-League tribunal to determine a sanction for his ugly kick to the face of Lawrence Thomas.
O'Donovan connected with the Melbourne Victory goalkeeper late in Saturday's grand final and was sent off for the incident that sparked a melee.
The league's match review panel issued a statement on Monday night, saying Donovan's case had been referred to the independent disciplinary and ethics committee to determine suspension beyond the automatic one-match ban for the red card.
The hearing date is yet to be revealed.
O'Donovan is set for a lengthy ban after being charged with "serious foul play (eg when challenging for the ball)".
The MRP can only hand down sanctions of up to four games before referring what they deem as more serious cases to the disciplinary tribunal.
The Irishman, who has a history of on-field volatility, arrived late to the challenge as the keeper rushed out to retrieve a Dimi Petratos free-kick in injury-time.
Referee Jarred Gillett issued a straight red card, not long before Victory celebrated a 1-0 win.
It's O'Donovan's second sending-off this season after he was handed a two-match ban in March for his "assault" on Sydney FC defender Jordy Buijs.
In January 2016 he was hit with an eight-week suspension for a headbutt on Wellington's Manny Muscat.
On Saturday, Victory coach Kevin Muscat said "it was just lucky someone didn't get really badly hurt" although Jets captain Nigel Boogaard defended his teammate.
"To be honest with you, from where I was - and I was right behind it - the ball's in the air, he's sticking a foot at it," Boogaard said.
"To be honest I would have stuck a foot at it. All those players in the opposition team, if they were 1-0 down would have thrown themselves at the ball as well."