NZ Tour threat came from India: Pakistan

·1-min read

A threat to New Zealand's cricket team that prompted them to call off their tour of Pakistan came in an email that originated in India, Pakistan's Information Minister said on Wednesday.

The New Zealand cricket squad arrived home on Wednesday after abandoning their tour of Pakistan last week citing a security threat.

New Zealand Cricket said they were aware of a "specific and credible" threat but did not give details.

Pakistan Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry said the threat had come via an email.

"This email was generated from India through a VPN showing the location of Singapore," Chaudhry told reporters in Pakistan's capital.

India's foreign ministry did not immediately respond to request for comment.

Nuclear-armed neighbours and arch-rivals Pakistan and India regularly blame each other for acts of violence, charges each government denies.

Chaudhry added the West Indies team, due to arrive in December, had also been sent a threat that he said was fake.

Shunned by all after a deadly 2009 attack on the Sri Lanka team bus in Lahore, which was carrying players and their Australian coach Trevor Bayliss, Pakistan have been trying to woo back top international teams.

New Zealand's withdrawal dealt a massive blow to Pakistan's hopes of staging regular international cricket, with England subsequently calling off their men's and women's tours.

Australia is yet to make a decision on their tour to Pakistan but has advised they will examine the full details behind the cancellations of the NZ and England tours.

Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ramiz Raja has accused the western bloc, Australia included, of not looking after the entire cricket fraternity.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting