When the Nevada State Athletic Commission temporarily suspended Canelo Alvarez for a doping violation earlier this month, the Mexican fighter's rematch with Gennady Golovkin on May 5 was put in jeopardy.
Then Thursday, when NSAC executive director Bob Bennett filed a formal complaint against Alvarez, cancellation of the fight became more of a possibility.
In Bennett's complaint, the commission will seek a suspension for Alvarez ranging from nine to 24 months. The typical ban for a first offense is one year, and there is a possibility Alvarez could get that cut in half, according to Yahoo Sports.
"After completing my investigation, I made the determination to file a complaint against Mr. Alvarez and set the matter for a disciplinary hearing during the Commission's regularly scheduled meeting on April 18th," Bennett's said in a statement. "Therefore, I am canceling the hearing that was scheduled for Friday, March 30th."
Alvarez is currently serving a temporary suspension after testing positive for Clenbuterol. His camp blamed the failed tests on tainted meat consumed in Mexico.
Still, if Bennett gets what he wants, Alvarez could not fight again until Aug. 18. (His suspension would start retroactively to his first violation which was Feb. 17.)
Alvarez has a meeting planned with the commission in April, so there is a chance the suspension will not be upheld, but there are a lot of indicators pointing to the fact this fight is in serious danger of being canceled.
Golovkin has said on multiple occasions he still intends to fight May 5 whether Alvarez is his opponent or not.