'Footy is back': Tom Burgess posts injury update after scans

Riley Morgan
·Sports Reporter
·2-min read
Tom Burgess (pictured right) with his family and (pictured left) in hospital.
Tom Burgess (pictured right) at home with his family after a worrying injury (pictured left) during the Rabbitohs' loss to Melbourne in Round 1. (Images: Instagram)

Tom Burgess has posted an injury update from hospital after his horror injury during South Sydney's loss to Melbourne in the NRL season-opener on Thursday night.

Burgess was taken from the field on a stretcher wearing a neck brace after an innocuous incident late in the game at AAMI Park.

WOW: Sampson fuels stunning theory about Smith comeback

'AWFUL TO SEE': NRL opener rocked by frightening moment

The big front-rower stayed down clutching his neck and shoulder after coming down hard while attempting to make a tackle.

Play was stopped for several minutes while medics attended to the British forward, who was then taken to hospital as a precautionary measure.

Many feared the worst after a horrible looking incident.

Thankfully, Souths coach Wayne Bennett said medical staff were confident it wasn't serious.

"He's got a pretty stiff neck and his arm doesn't have all the strength there at the moment but the doctor doesn't think it's too bad, more of a burner-type situation," Bennett said in his post-match press conference.

The NRL Physio Twitter account added: "Confirmation from the Rabbitohs of a suspected neural injury (burner) for Tom Burgess, still in quite a bit of pain.

"Good signs able to move all limbs. Mechanism more suggestive of nerve impingement/pinch, if no significant disc bulge in neck symptoms usually settle within a week."

Burgess allays fears of serious injury

But Burgess took to social media to allay any fears of a serious injury and showed his excitement of getting back on the field.

"Hey guys, thanks for the messages of concern, I’m all good, CT scans have come back clear but have to keep this lovely thing on till the morning to rule out any serious nerve damage which can only be seen from an MRI scan," he said.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

"Could be a long night in Melbourne here but would rather be safe than sorry! How good the footy is back eh."

He later replied on Friday after he had been discharged from hospital.

"Thanks everyone for your kind comments, feel much better now home with my girls and the brace off, neck is stiff and sore but nothing serious, thanks to all the medical staff who took the necessary precautions and looked after my best interests," he wrote.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.