Doctor saw marks on alleged victim in Jack de Belin rape case

Australian Associated Press
·2-min read
Pictured here, Jack de Belin is facing trial in court for alleged sexual assault.
Jack de Belin has pleaded not guilty to sexual assault. Pic: AAP

A woman was seen to have red marks on her chest and a neck bruise hours after she says she was raped by footballers Jack de Belin and Callan Sinclair, a jury has been told.

Cllinical Associate Professor Ann Ellacott testified to examining the 19-year-old woman at Wollongong Hospital's sexual assault unit on December 9, 2018 when she observed the injuries.

GAME ON: Origin III at full capacity as QLD lifts virus restrictions

UPDATE: Truth about 'disgusting' Last Post drama at Origin

DIVIDED: Fans debate NSW hero's act that everyone missed

NRL star De Belin, 29, and his 23-year-old friend have pleaded not guilty to the aggravated sexual assault of the woman after meeting her late on December 8 in a Wollongong bar.

They say their sexual contact was consensual.

The woman has testified that she thought the trio was headed to another club before St George Illawarra player de Belin led them to a North Wollongong unit where she says she was sexually assaulted.

Giving evidence in Wollongong District Court on Friday, Dr Ellacott said the woman's history included leaving a club with the two men before being sexually assaulted by them in an apartment, during which hands were around her neck at different times.

She also said she was given $50 to "keep her mouth closed".

Doctor testifies about marks on alleged victim

Dr Ellacott reported seeing areas of mild tenderness and redness on her chest below her neck, a graze on her right shoulder and a bruise on the right side of her neck.

She had no visible injuries to her genital region.

Dr Ellacott said such injuries are seen in the minority of sexual assaults

Jack de Belin is seen here playing in the NRL with the Dragons.
The Dragons have stood down Jack de Belin while the legal proceedings against him continue. Pic: AAP

Prosecutor David Scully referred her to the woman's evidence of twice having had pressure applied to her neck when she felt like she couldn't breathe.

Dr Ellacott said she couldn't comment on whether one would expect to see fingermarks or any other visible injuries immediately after, if that had occurred.

"Because marks and bruises can appear later and change over a period of time," she said.

She then said she would not necessarily expect to see finger marks around a neck after force was applied, as it can happen without causing marks.

De Belin's barrister David Campbell SC suggested redness to the chest can be caused by many circumstances, including friction, sunburn and poor-fitting clothes.

"Correct," she replied.

The trial is continuing.

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.