NRL great Cooper Cronk has slammed an alleged incident involving Cody Walker after a bizarre video emerged on Monday.
Rabbitohs star Walker said he would accept whatever punishment the NRL has in store for him after explaining the tragic family situation behind an ugly video that has emerged of him on social media.
‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Greg Inglis slams 'appalling' Ben Ikin comments
NSW Police on Monday confirmed they are investigating the alleged incident after a video emerged online showing the NRL star allegedly kicking a man in the chest in a Casino street last year.
Walker revealed to Channel Nine on Monday that he had been mourning the loss of a family member and drinking alcohol, before the incident took place.
“I was trying to protect a family member after the loss of one of my first cousins who we lost through suicide,” Walker said on Channel Nine News.
“She was 24 years of age and we were grieving her. Seeing her brother who is my first cousin, seeing him fight the first thing that popped into my head was I just need to stop it.”
Cronk was sympathetic towards Walker and his situation, but said the look was still not good for the game.
“It’s not a major indiscretion. It’s just not a good look,” the recently retired four-time premiership winner said on Fox League Live.
“I just don’t think you can have one of your star players who is an inspiration to a large portion of this country and who a lot of junior rugby league players aspire to be like, you just can’t have that look coming through on social media or the news outlets or what-not.”
While Cronk doesn’t think Walker will face an extended ban for the incident, he does think the NRL integrity unit will punish him in some degree.
“Is it at the serious end? I’d say no. Is it at the bottom end? No. But it’s just a couple of levels up that’s going to have to be dealt with,” he said.
Walker will accept any punishment
Walker said it was an emotional time for his family and that his actions didn’t reflect his character.
“It was a very emotional time for myself and the family leading into that week,” Walker explained.
“It was not a true reflection of my character and who I am as a person.
“I let the club know straight away after the incident.
“I had no recollection that there was a video. The video came out and I let Souths know.”
Walker says he will accept whatever sanction the club or the NRL hands down over the incident.
"I will not be appealing. I'm very, very sorry. I've let a lot of people down, my family, the club, the fans, the members, the game,” Walker said.