'Effin' look at them': Steve Jackson's miracle moment in the 1989 Grand Final

The Canberra Raiders celebrate winning the 1989 NSWRL Grand Final between the Canberra Raiders and the Balmain Tigers on September 24, 1989 in Sydney, Australia. Raiders won 19-14. (Photo by Patrick Riviere/Getty Images)

One of the great NRL Grand Finals - the miracle of 1989 - was decided in extra time.

Former Raiders forward Steve Jackson recounts the moment in the dramatic final that secured his place as a Canberra legend.

Steve Jackson for PlayersVoice

I’ve watched that try a lot. The last time was a couple of months ago when the 1989 grand final team was invited down to Canberra for a Hall of Fame dinner.

On the Saturday I went to the game. It was awesome – there were 11 of us standing on the sideline, me alongside the likes of Mal Meninga, Laurie Daley, Steve Walters, Gary Belcher – all these legends of rugby league.

They were called out one by one and went onto the field. Then I was called out last. As I came on the field they put the try up on the big screen and there was a standing ovation.

Did I have goosebumps? I’ve got goosebumps now. I get them every time I think about it.


We went into camp in Sydney on the Wednesday and on the Friday they had the traditional grand final breakfast. I never got an invite. I had to wait back at the Travelodge Hotel with all the runners and strappers while the other players went to the breakfast.

I don’t know the story why. I’ve always thought that maybe they’d heard how much I ate.

Canberra celebrating the 1989 Grand Final victory. (Photo by Paul Matthews; Craig Golding; Quentin Jones; Steve Christo/Fairfax Media via Getty Images).

You reckon they could have put a knife and fork at the end of a table, pushed a chair in and got the others to move along a bit. How hard would that be?

Being the 21st man, and missing out on the feed, was starting to add up to me not getting a game.

And that helped me, because I wasn’t nervous. Everywhere we went people were after autographs and wanted to talk to you. I was just a kid from the bush going ‘how cool is this?’

Tim never told me why he made the late call to include me, but he’s an intelligent coach and must have seen good things in me.

I used to pull off a lot of tries in reserve grade and some pretty big hits. But I wasn’t consistent and I’d just came back from an injury, so I needed a bit more playing time.

I was sitting on the bench and the word came down. Tim radioed down to Phil Foster, who reached over tapped me on the shoulder and said ‘warm up’.

That’s when I started getting a little nervous. I went into the tunnel of the football stadium and started doing a few pretend stretches, those old-style calf stretches against a wall. There was no stationary bike on the sideline back then. Just a few stretches and a bit of a jog.

He came over and said ‘you’re on’ and that’s when my heart nearly jumped out of my mouth.

Raiders Chris O'Sullivan (left) and Laurie Daley leap high in exaltation as Balmain's Kevin Hardwick and Michael Neil sink into despair. And John Ferguson is at lower right, sandwiched between giant Paul Sironen and the ground. (Photo by Quentin Jones/Fairfax Media via Getty Images).

But because I hadn’t burned any nervous energy, I felt calm. I hadn’t played the game too many times in my head and I believe that helped me so much when I got on the field.

We scored a try to make it 14-8 and then a couple of minutes to go we had to go the length of the field and score off the fifth and last.

Chris O’Sullivan put the bomb up. I was out in the backline, when the kick went up, jumped for it and got my left hand on it and it dropped back into Laurie Daley’s lap.

He passed it to Chicka Ferguson, who came back towards where I was standing, and I called for it on his inside – ‘CHICKA!!’ But I knew he wasn’t going to pass it to me, so I just hit him in the back to help drive him over.

Today that would have gone to the video ref and would have been disallowed because I interfered with Paul Sironen coming into the tackle.

I remember thinking at the time, ‘I didn’t score a try but I was involved in one’. I was calling it a try assist!

Fifteen minutes later I got my own.


The fulltime hooter went it and it was 14-all. Our group was so tight, with Mal Meninga at the core. Mal’s presence in a group of players is so demanding. He demands respect, and he had us all in close.

I could see the Balmain players and they were scattered everywhere, heads down. I shouted out ‘have an effin’ look at them, they’re done. LOOK AT THEM!’

Early in extra time Chris O’Sullivan kicked a field goal to make it 15-14 after a bit of an argument with Ricky Stuart, who felt it was too early to take the point.

We have regular reunions and every time Chris sees me, he says ‘Jacko, I hate you. If you don’t score that try they’ll remember my field goal for the rest of my life and you know what, they don’t even remember I kicked a field goal’. It’s so funny, and so true!

We’re up by a point in extra time with three minutes to play and I’m a front rower standing in the centres. Andy Currier, the English convert, tried to grubber it out of his own 40, breaking an unwritten law. It was a horrible kick and Mal scooped it up and passed it to me.

I was an astute front rower, I’ll give myself credit for that. I always used to clock watch, and totally understood the position of the game.

I knew I’d been given the ball by Mal Meninga and my thoughts were ‘I’m not passing it, I’m not dropping it, I will not make a mistake’.

That’s all I was thinking. If you watch the try in normal speed it happens so quickly, but in my head it happened very slowly.

I had enough time to think, ‘I’ve hit a few players here, I’ve done a spin, hang on a minute there’s the try line, if I can put this ball over the try line I’ve scored a try in a grand final.’

I slapped it down. I was winded. I looked up to see a young Bill Harrigan with his arm pointed in my direction. Bill has never looked better. And when he blew that whistle I just remember thinking ‘I’ve made it’.

Thirty years later I can’t remember the exact feeling. It must have been amazing. I look at sides that win grand finals these days, I look at the players’ faces and think, ‘well that’s how I must have felt’.

I didn’t celebrate much. I scored a lot of tries in my career and that was normal for me. I was a serious character on the field, pretty aggressive, always thought ‘the job isn’t done’.

I needed some air, needed to breathe, because everyone was hugging me. As we were walking back Gary Belcher was the last to come to me. He said, ‘fantastic try but Mal’s missed the kick, it’s three minutes to go, they can win with a converted try’.

So I had to switch back on for the game and that’s what I did.

For the full extract visit PlayersVoice.