Controversial field goal wins it for Broncos


Brisbane have scraped to a controversial 25-24 win over South Sydney, thanks to an Anthony Milford field goal on Friday night at ANZ Stadium.

Milford slotted the match-winner in the 78th minute, however appeared to bobble the ball as he caught and fired the shot.

It was one of three controversial moments involving the Brisbane five-eighth and the Rabbitohs' fans in the 11,083-strong crowd were left baying for blood after the fulltime hooter.

Souths general manager of football Shane Richardson stormed into the press box after the match and bellowed "write about the bunker now".

The Broncos scored one of the most-controversial tries of the season when Tautau Moga crossed to even up the ledger with 11 minutes on the clock.

Just moments earlier, Milford crossed the line but was held up and the ball came out the back of the ruck for Moga to scoop it up and dive over the line.

South Sydney skipper Sam Burgess argued the tackle had been made and the play should have been dead, however the bunker ruled a four-pointer.

The Broncos led 18-6 at the break before Souths came storming back into the contest with three tries in 11 minutes.

First, Bryson Goodwin batted back for Robert Jennings and the home side evened it up when Angus Crighton ran a smart line off Robbie Farah.

And, when Siosifa Talakai crashed over, Michael Maguire's team had a 24-18 advantage.

Earlier, The Broncos took the lead in the first half when Corey Oates crossed for almost identical tries in the space of 13 minutes - on both occasions, he took a cut-out pass from Darius Boyd and flew through the air to touch down in the corner.

The Broncos were awarded another controversial try when Korbin Sims scooped up a Milford grubber to score, despite being in an offside position. John Sutton was ruled to have played at the ball, putting Sims onside and making it 16-8 to the visitors.

The game was further shrouded in controversy when Milford was taken from the field at halftime for a head injury assessment just seconds after kicking a penalty conversion.

The Broncos earned a penalty when Sam Burgess hit Milford high. The Broncos' No.6 was briefly assessed by the trainer and allowed to take the penalty.

In the intervening moments, Broncos doctor Peter Hackney reviewed the footage of the incident and decided to bring him off for a head-injury assessment but only after he had taken the shot at goal, angering the Souths' crowd.

After being assessed at halftime, Milford returned to the field for the second half.

Souths prop George Burgess could find himself in strife with the match review panel after appearing to shoulder charge Milford in the second half.