Premiership winning former Brisbane star-turned TV host Ben Ikin has thrown his hat in the ring to become the next CEO of the Broncos.
The club's under-fire chief executive Paul White is not expected to survive beyond this season, with the Broncos recording just one win since the restart of the competition and in disarray both on and off the field.
'$180m BUST': Former NRL player jailed over massive drug sting
‘TRUTH HURTS’: Partner's fury over Wayne Bennett virus breach
Ikin - who hosts NRL 360 on Fox Sports - played in four seasons for the Broncos, winning the 2000 premiership with the club.
He's previously held board positions with the North Queensland Cowboys and a director's role with the Queensland Rugby League.
However, Ikin confirmed to the ABC that the possibility of becoming the Broncos CEO is an opportunity he simply could not ignore.
"It was a big decision for me because I’ve got a great job with Fox Sports, so I had to get approval from News Corp to have a crack," Ikin said.
"I was in, I was out, it’s a $50m turnover business, it’s more than just a footy team. It’s a great opportunity. The resume has gone in, officially."
The task ahead at the Broncos is undoubtedly immense, with the club criticised throughout the year for its culture and recruitment of players.
Coach Anthony Seibold has been under immense pressure to keep his job, with the club languishing in 15th on the ladder.
Ikin himself has labelled the club's list management "disgusting" but failed to confirm that he would replace Seibold if appointed CEO.
“Anthony Seibold is on a five-year contract and you have to understand the contract and get a sense from the coach on how he plans to solve the problems of 2020 into the future.
“If you don’t believe he can solve the problems, then the tough call needs to be made.
“But off the back of that conversation, you might decide that the coach the Broncos thought they were getting on the way in is absolutely the coach to lead the club into the future.
“The Broncos have got a lot right [off the field] but, at the moment, the core business isn’t firing. Whoever gets the [chief executive] job, one of their first priorities is to get in there and get that football program firing again.”
Off-field issues add to Broncos woes
The Broncos have been beset by problems off the field this year, with Tevita Pangai Jr's COVID-19 protocol breach the latest headache for the embattled club to deal with.
The second-rower has been stood down for 14 days and is under investigation after attending the opening of a Brisbane barber shop on Saturday.
Pangai Jr attended the event despite players being told they were effectively in quarantine under the NRL's biosecurity protocols after Friday's loss to South Sydney at ANZ Stadium.
The young gun's breach has drawn widespread criticism in league circles, with Brisbane legend Kevin Walters calling it "extremely disappointing".
"Tevita Pangai has taken it upon himself to not listen to those rules and put himself above the rules and above the team and above the club, which is extremely disappointing from my perspective and the game's perspective as well," Walters told the Big Sports Breakfast.
"We're all relying on these players to do the right thing ... when rugby league players and sports people, in particular, don't do the right thing it's just really upsetting and disappointing in every respect.
"I'm sure Tevita is waking up today in isolation and wondering how he ever came to that decision to go to the barber shop."
The Broncos are investigating the matter and may yet issue further punishment for Pangai Jr, with police attending the opening amid claims the business has bikie gang links.
There's no suggestion Pangai Jr has done anything illegal but it's a bad look for a club which has slumped to second-last on the ladder after 10 losses from their past 11 matches.