NRL adamant funding agreement in sight

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo insists the pay dispute between the league and its 17 teams can be resolved quickly after meetings with club bosses.

With the pay deal for players and club funding agreements now a week overdue, Abdo met with South Sydney's Blake Solly, Canberra's Don Furner and Melbourne's Justin Rodski.

Clubs remain frustrated over the lack of direction and overdue status of negotiations, with budgeting difficult given neither the salary or funding figures are yet to be set.

The NRL financial year is also already seven days in, with the sport working on a November-October model.

The current impasse prompted both Abdo and ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys to cancel their trip to the World Cup in England, with deals needing to be struck.

Abdo emerged from Tuesday's meetings adamant some progress had been made, hopeful that the finish line is in sight.

"The meeting with the club working group was positive, transparent and productive," Abdo told AAP.

"There is a clear plan to hopefully finalise arrangements soon."

It's believed the clubs fear they will be up to $500,000 out of pocket on the men's program from next season, pushing for an annual $5 million funding grant above the total player payments.

The NRL believe at this point they have met that request, but the clubs are yet to be convinced of that due to out-of-salary-cap costs and have asked Abdo to prove that is the case.

There is believed to be greater challenges on the women's side, after clubs wrote to Abdo last month to voice concerns they would also lose at least $500,000 by fielding a NRLW team next year.

Initial offers had centred around an $800,000 salary cap for women's teams and $1.2 million in funding, but clubs fear the longer season and need for more specialist staff would see a significant blowout in costs.

V'landys told AAP this week he was confident that cap could be bridged, and in turn most clubs would be kept onside despite threats of a breakaway.

Any deal with clubs would have to be done in principle, given the collective bargaining agreement with players is yet to be finalises and the NRL are struggling to find common ground.

The CBA has rolled over until an agreement was reached, Rugby League Players Association CEO Clint Newton made clear on Tuesday they intended to stand their ground.

A lengthy list of requests includes agreement and consultation rights on integrity matters and directing money to a medical-hardship fund long after retirement.

"We're continuing to work through it, we're hopeful of getting an agreement," Newton told SEN on Tuesday.

"When? I can't say. But I know one thing, we won't be reaching an agreement that is sub-standard or doesn't meet the expectations of the players.

"If we get to Christmas, so be it."

The NRL has also indicated they will not cede on the matters, with V'landys this week describing them as not commercial.

"Each one of them is to abrogate your power away from your organisation - which no-one does," he said.