Jarryd Hayne catches up with former NRL teammate ahead of sentencing

Sam Goodwin
·Sports Editor
·3-min read
Jarryd Hayne, pictured here catching up with Corey Norman.
Jarryd Hayne (centre) caught up with Corey Norman (R) as he awaits sentencing. Image: Instagram

Jarryd Hayne has caught up with former Parramatta Eels teammate Corey Norman as he awaits sentencing for his rape conviction.

The two-time NRL player-of-the-year will "inevitably" be jailed after a jury found he raped a woman in her Newcastle home in 2018.

HUGE: Matty Johns confirms bombshell rumour about Andrew

'JUST HORRIBLE': NRL fans gutted over Brett Morris injury

Hayne had denied assaulting the woman, saying the incident in her bedroom had been consensual.

The 33-year-old will be sentenced on Thursday and faces up to 14 years behind bars.

Immediately after convicting Hayne, Judge Helen Syme initially refused to release him on conditional bail given the "inevitable" jail term.

But bail was granted after the former footballer's agent offered to put up $50,000 surety.

On Tuesday, St George Illawarra five-eighth Norman posted a photo of himself, Hayne and a third man.

“Catch ups,” Norman wrote in the caption.

Hayne and Norman played together at Parramatta in 2014 before the former quit the NRL to play NFL with the San Francisco 49ers.

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

Jarryd Hayne found guilty of rape

After nearly 18 hours of deliberations in March, the Sydney District Court jury found Hayne not guilty of both counts of aggravated sexual intercourse without consent inflicting actual bodily harm.

But Hayne was found guilty of two alternative counts of sexual intercourse without consent.

Hayne remained motionless until the final verdict when he nodded a few times and looked at supporters in the public gallery.

The verdicts come after a Newcastle jury in December was unable to return verdicts to the same charges.

The Crown had argued in both trials the former State of Origin player felt entitled to sex when he went to the then-26-year-old woman's Newcastle home, having left his friends drinking at a bucks party and also missing watching his old teammates in the NRL grand final that evening.

Jarryd Hayne, pictured here speaking to the media outside Downing Centre District Court.
Jarryd Hayne speaks to the media outside Downing Centre District Court. (AAP Image/Bianca De Marchi)

The woman testified Hayne was "rough, forceful and inconsiderate," despite her protests of "no" and "no Jarryd," and pushed her face into the pillow before ripping her jeans off.

Hayne testified that the woman had become "filthy" after finding out a taxi was waiting for him outside her home and knew she did not want sex.

But he wanted to "please her" and the pair kissed before he commenced consensual oral and digital sex, he said.

"She said she didn't want to have sex. We didn't have sex," Hayne said.

He rejected the suggestion the woman was retreating up the bed to get away from him, saying she helped him remove her pants.

The assault lasted for about 30 seconds before the woman started bleeding from her genitals.

The Crown argued Hayne had no reasonable grounds for believing the woman would have consented to any sexual activity that evening.

But Hayne's barrister argued his client was content to "take it or leave it" and fully respected the woman's wishes to not have sex after she found out about the taxi.

with AAP

Watch 'Mind Games', the new series from Yahoo Sport Australia exploring the often brutal mental toil elite athletes go through in pursuit of greatness:

Click here to sign up to our newsletter for all the latest and breaking stories from Australia and around the world.