No fresh bid by Manly to play NRL rookie

Steve Zemek

Manly have not submitted a second request to have young gun hooker Manase Fainu cleared for Saturday's NRL clash with St George Illawarra.

The league on Wednesday knocked back the club's request for an exemption to name the 19-year-old following a serious injury to regular No.9 Api Koroisau.

The governing body found Manly had three fit players in their squad capable of playing hooker in Lewis Brown, Jackson Hastings and Matthew Wright.

The club is entitled to make another request if they believe they have grounds to bring Fainu in.

However the NRL said on Thursday evening no paperwork had been received from the Sea Eagles.

The controversy has reignited the saga surrounding the banished Hastings which has proven a massive distraction at Brookvale.

Coach Trent Barrett said earlier in the year he wouldn't pick the former Sydney Roosters utility after a confrontation with skipper Daly Cherry-Evans in Gladstone during a road trip to play the Cowboys.

The Sea Eagles have filled their 30-man squad and can only apply to bring in a replacement if they have no fit players available who can fill a certain position.

It is unclear whether they will consider using Hastings in future with Koroisau set to miss eight to 10 weeks with a fractured foot.

Manly CEO Lyall Gorman did not return AAP's request for comment.

Lewis Brown is likely to come from the reserves list into Barrett's 13-man side to take on the Dragons at WIN Stadium.