Novak Djokovic set to miss Indian Wells and Miami - but back for US Open
On Monday, the White House confirmed in a statement that it intends to terminate the public health and national emergencies for addressing the Covid-19 pandemic on May 11. All existing Covid-19 restrictions will fall away, including a ban on non-vaccinated people entering the country. This means Djokovic will be free to return and compete in the US after May 11, although he will once again miss the two ATP Masters 1000 tournaments in Indian Wells and Miami in March and April. The Serbian was able to return to Australia earlier this month following his deportation from the country last year over his unvaccinated status, leading to an emotional 10th title following his victory over Stefanos Tsitsipas in the final. Djokovic was hopeful he would be able to compete in the US swing in March, but while that dream has been dashed, he will be relieved to hear his vaccination status will stop being a barrier to his participation in events on US soil. "You know my position, so it is what it is. I'm hoping (to play), but if I can't go, I can't go," he said earlier this month. Indian Wells Open Tournament Director Tommy Haas said organisers were doing everything they could to help Djokovic to compete at the event, but it now looks like they will have to make do without him. "It would be nice to see if we could maybe lift those a little earlier and have him come to play Indian Wells and Miami. I think he wants to play, so we should give him the chance. Hopefully we can have him there," he said. "I mean, it would be a disgrace in my eyes if he wasn't coming to these events, or not allowed to come."
The article Novak Djokovic set to miss Indian Wells and Miami - but back for US Open appeared first on Planetsport.com.