NFL star Adrian Peterson plays two days after son's violent death

Frank Schwab | Shutdown Corner, Yahoo!7 October 14, 2013, 10:23 am

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has always had the ability to perform well through distractions, and he played pretty well through one of the most tragic personal issues possible on Sunday.

Peterson had 62 yards on 10 carries, playing two days after his two-year-old son died from injuries consistent with abuse. The boyfriend of the mother of Peterson's son is being held in connection with the case.

The Vikings as a team didn't play as well as the NFL's reigning MVP. They lost 35-10 to Carolina at home. Panthers players lined up to offer Peterson condolences after the game.

"I was set on it, man," Peterson said after the game, according to Sean Jensen of the Pioneer Press.

"I want people to understand my mindset. Any bad I try to take good from it. That’s the way I approach life. I never thought about not playing. It was all about going out there and praying that I have the strength to get through. That was my focus."

Source: Getty Images

Peterson has played through difficult personal issues before, and also performed at the NFL's scouting combine the day after his brother died, something he alluded to in a pregame text message to Fox Sports explaining his reasons for playing on Sunday:

"My brother passed the night before the combine and I decided to go through with it. The same reason why I will play this week. You may ask why? God wants good to come from it ... We mourn and grieve but heaven had the baddest welcoming party for my son. That knowledge gives me peace. I'm still hurt and feel the pain of life, but I'm able to function because of the peace and joy of knowing my loved ones are in a much better place."

Peterson didn't get too many carries after the Vikings fell far behind, but he played well, especially considering the circumstances.

= Thanks to the Shutdown Corner Yahoo Blog =

1. Dave05:27pm Monday 14th October 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I don't care how well he played! The coaching staff should have stood him down and offered him the support he may need.It's only a game

2. bluebag04:26pm Monday 14th October 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Another classic example of the Americans way. Praise the lord and pass the money, not necessarily in that order.

3. Monte04:07pm Monday 14th October 2013 ESTReport Abuse

It reminds me of the bloke playing a few rounds of golf, as they approached the fourth hole, a small dogs' leg with a flat green teeing off by the road a funeral proccession went by whereupon one bloke faced the road, took off his hat & dipped his head. His playing mate said, "hell john that was a very nice thing to do, showing respect for the dead." The bloke replied, " It was the least I coul;d do, after all we had been married 35 years."

4. Monte04:01pm Monday 14th October 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Nothing interferes with the game.

5. nola k03:37pm Monday 14th October 2013 ESTReport Abuse

No respect at all, none whatsoever. Clearly has no problem with his own ego though. Wonder if he will bother about attending the funeral?

6. Col12:21pm Monday 14th October 2013 ESTReport Abuse

The American way? ... wow!!!

7. Davey11:32am Monday 14th October 2013 ESTReport Abuse

nothing like getting your life prioities right !!