Family deny Muhammad Ali is 'close to death'

Yahoo!7 Updated February 4, 2013, 1:09 pm

The family of boxing legend Muhammad Ali have denied reports that the 71-year-old is close to death.

On Monday (AEDT) Ali's family released a photo of the former world champion watching the Super Bowl in a Baltimore Ravens shirt.

"He looks great," said family spokesman Bob Gunnell.

"He’s having a Superbowl party."

Gunnell strongly denied reports in UK media that Ali was just days away from death.

The reports stemmed from an interview with Ali's brother Rahman Ali, who said Muhammad had very little time left.

"My brother can’t speak — he doesn’t recognise me. He’s in a bad way. He’s very sick," Rahman Ali said.

"It could be months, it could be days. I don’t know if he’ll last the summer. He’s in God’s hands. We hope he gently passes away".

Muhammed Ali has suffered from Parkinson's disease since being diagnosed in 1984. Ali famously pioneered the rope-a-dope in his showdown with George Foreman in their 'Rumble in the Jungle' bout.

Rahman Ali has accused his brother's wife of funnelling money away from the Ali family and preventing him from seeing Muhammed in person.

"The worst thing to happen is not the illness, but his wife," Rahman Ali said.

"He told me before he got really bad that he’s in no pain. He grabbed my arm and whispered, ‘Rah, I’ve achieved everything I’ve ever wanted to accomplish. Don’t cry for me, I’m in no pain.’ It’s best he goes now. The longer he goes on, so does his suffering and misery.

"He’s going to heaven, there’s no doubt. If his funeral was tomorrow, all the statesmen of the world would turn up. He touched everyone from the rich to the poor.

"I love my brother over anybody. Of all the famous people who ever lived, he’s the best. Everyone knows Muhammad Ali. He’s up there with Jesus Christ."

1. Mike01:29pm Tuesday 12th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

kid eager...why doth thou hateth me so? I`m not that way inclined mate.You might have to find someone else to put their hand in your pants.

2. allen03:56pm Tuesday 05th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

He is part of a religion that is involved in every act of terrorism all around the world. Woman have no rights, girls aren't allowed to go to school, they are an oppressive religion. They kill people who's views they don't like. Most Muslim countries are at war with themselves or someone else. Hatred, intolerance, oppression, it's sad we let them into our beautiful country, we will end up like Britain having our buses blown up. Australia spends millions watching these people, many have been arrested. I thank the stinking Greenies for letting them in, thank god there is an election. Come in Enoch Powell

3. Mike02:19am Tuesday 05th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Unfortunately rooster and Ghost dont seem to get along.....so be it...If nothing else,it`s been fun to play.....Rooster,tell me more about that cold whiskey and ice.

4. Mike01:27am Tuesday 05th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

By the way rooster,a phobia is an irrational fear.Another scam the fruits use without any knowledge of what words mean.There is no such thing as "homophobia".

5. Mike01:17am Tuesday 05th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Rooster,you have no respect for the english language."gay" means happy.Dont fall into the trap that the homosexual lobby has set.They are no more than a powerful lobby group.

6. Ghost Hunter12:39am Tuesday 05th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

HAA-HAA-HAA-HAA-HAA ! HEY WANKER BOY ! Since when does a plastic bucket qualify as a 'rented pool' ??? Your wonderful old WEAZEL FACED comrade ju-LIAR 'FAT BUTT' dullard gets things done alright ! The WITCH is driving other members from her FERAL labor government of liars, thieves, back-stabbers and scum-suckers, to announce they are quitting parliament COMPLETELY at the up-coming election ! They are deserting her in record numbers, more and more are quitting every day. Why don't you try to BS your way out of that FACT ???

7. Mike11:02pm Monday 04th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

What a sad indictment on Yahoo that we have come here to express a political view.Oh well,at least we get to laugh at the death of this overrated pretend heavyweight.

8. Areel08:53pm Monday 04th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Love your families and love your life good people. The time has come to rest. I bid you all a wonderful evening and a glorious week ahead. My kindest regards to each and everyone of you , Areel.

9. Areel08:33pm Monday 04th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

It disappoints me that many people here , excluding Christopher J and Rooster , are welfare recipients. In your favour however is the carbon tax. An incredible 9 out of 10 families are better off including mine !! Praise be to Ms Gillard !! Praise be to team Labor !!!! Kindest regards Areel

10. Areel08:28pm Monday 04th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

We have noticed a significant drop in temperature in our rented pool over the last week . Thankfully our landlord purchased some pool clear which has revitalised the brown water back to a hazy white. We always knew if we stood our ground and refused to clean it that he would come around. Let this be a lesson to all. STAND YOUR GROUND. This is why Labor will win comfortably. Ms Gillard GETS THINGS DONE !! Kindest regards Areel