Mundine claims ambush, SBW slams 'corrupt judges'

By Martin Smith with AAP, Yahoo!7 January 31, 2013, 7:58 am

Sonny Bill Williams says "corrupt judges" cost Anthony Mundine victory in the 37-year-old's world title fight with Daniel Geale, while Mundine says he was "ambushed".

Mundine lost a unanimous decision to Geale at the Sydney Entertainment Centre, with two judges scoring the fight 117-111 in Geale's favour and the other 116-112.

Before the verdict was handed down, Mundine was heard to say that he would 'be robbed' if the decision went against him.

When Geale was confirmed as the winner, Mundine stormed out of the ring and into his dressing-room, leaving his softly-spoken opponent to lap up the plaudits.

Mundine later claimed that he was "ambushed".

And Williams, who splits his time between rugby league, rugby union and a part-time boxing career, seemingly agrees the decision was rigged.

Williams posted a picture of himself with fellow boxing rookie Quade Cooper and Mundine on Twitter with the caption "Hanging out with @Anthony_Mundine celebrating a victory.. We don't pay attention to corrupt judges!!"

Cooper, who will have his first professional fight on Williams's undercard next week, retweeted Williams's photo.

Williams later apologised for the tweet, saying his emotions had got the better of him.

As for Mundine, he repeated his claim that he dominated the fight and was robbed of victory.

"I controlled the pace, I stuck him, I hit him more often than he hit me," Mundine said.

"That's what it's about. It's about hitting and not being hit.

"I dominated the fight. I was a ring general. I hit him with cleaner shots (and) I hurt him more.

"But, you know what, I walked into an ambush tonight. It's as simple as that. I thought it was going to be bad but I didn't know it was going to be that bad.

"I thought I was dominant enough to get the victory."

When told of Mundine's displeasure with the decision, the mild-mannered Geale said "it's what you'd expect".

Geale felt he produced the convincing performance he wanted but could have done even better.

"I would have liked to do it that little bit extra," Geale said.

"A lot of people asked me to finish the job and a couple of moments there I had him in some real trouble, I just couldn't find that last little bit.

"He's a great defensive fighter, you can't take anything away from him."

The Tasmanian-born Sydney-based boxer said he wanted to become the number one middleweight in the world.

His American promoter Gary Shaw said Geale would have options to fight next in either Australia or the United States.

"Personally, I'd love to see Daniel back in Australia," Shaw said.

Geale said when he needed to dig a bit deeper he was motivated by some of the taunts Mundine made in the lead-up to the fight.

He said Mundine still had good speed and skill, but just seemed to lack something.

1. brian p08:49am Sunday 03rd February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I hope that was Mundine's last fight because i'm sick of hear anything that comes out of this idiot's mouth !!! The man has never fought a really good fighter and he never will. The only thing the man has is a big mouth and his mouth can't back up anything !!! Everyone around the world knows Mundine is a jerk !! BYE BYE Anthony you are only a legend in you're own mind !!!!!!

2. Glib08:59pm Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Look at all these 400 comments by fans who wish they got smashed in the face for a living, just like their heroes.

3. Ghost Hunter08:49pm Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Go back to your part-time job of cleaning tables and mopping the floors at Maccas 'c j' - you gutless, queer, little twerp ! Your wonderful RAT FACED comrade ju-LIAR 'I'm A UNION MONEY THIEF ' dullard and her FERAL labor thugs are on their way back to the gutter (lefties union movement) where they belong ! Had your daily butt reaming from your 'uncle' beady today yet WANKER BOY ???? :-P

4. Wayne W08:06pm Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Leave sonny bill alone . He's a champion athlete and can tweet what ever the hell he wants , to say they are going to take legal action against him for that comment is a joke in any language , all the hater should get on with life and stop being so sensitive , we all know they are envious of what an amazing kiwi sportsman he is and ain't scared of no fool out there

5. Darrell05:42pm Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Get over your self you are a no class and now you are out there blowing bubble gum haha

6. Blurter04:20pm Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Mundine is very talented sportsman if only he shut his mouth all of Australians would be wright behind him ,way to late for that, i dont know what fight he was at if he thought he won man up MUNDINE you lost every round.

7. Bert Cayab02:59pm Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Mundine is a great figther, and deserve another go to any title on his division. I blieved, he is been mis-understood most of the time!!!

8. Peter01:39pm Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I do admire a man with confidence, and someone who believes they are the best and doesn't mind showing it. But you have to be honourable in defeat. Not whine like a loser. Mundine, you could have been great in the eyes of Australians and could have been an amazing role model to the Aboriginal community. Instead most Aussies are ashamed, embarassed and discusted with him. Knowledge, power and skill doesn't make you a champ. Honour and respect for your opponent in defeat you idiot.

9. Fair Go Girl01:33pm Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Mundine lost the fight because his opponent was much better. BUT, instead of everyone talking about Geale being the winner we are discussing this racist creep Mundine. He has to accept that he is a loser, in more ways than one. Shut your mouth Mundine and man up to the fact that you are a cry baby and a fool. I am glad he didnt want to sing the Anthem because he is not Australian, he is a belligerent whiner and the world of sport and Australia would be better off without him. Good on ya Geale. Hey SBW, if you lie with dogs you will get fleas. Watch out for that!

10. Bonny01:27pm Friday 01st February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

As a boxing enthusiast I have enjoyed Mundine's earlier fights and thought him to be a superb boxer. I do not like Daniel Gearle's 'style' of boxing. In this case the judges were 100% correct on their scores. If Mundine thinks he won that fight, he must have been at a different venue to the rest of us. He would do well to learn from his Dad about respect. To late now though. He lost my respect long ago.