Surfer rides record 100-foot wave off Portuguese coast

Yahoo!7 January 30, 2013, 10:42 am

Big wave surfer Garrett McNamara is believed to have broken a new record after riding a 100-foot high wave in Nazare, Portugal.

Hawaii native McNamara, is a legend in the sport, known for his death defying surfing adventures in notorious breaks around the world.

The size of the wave is yet to be verified, but if it is as large as reported, the ride would had shattered the world record previously set by McNamara.

In 2011 the 45-year-old entered the history books by surfing a 78-foot wave, also in Nazare.

McNamara took to social media to express his excitement over the colossal surf.

"Thank you for all your support. It means the world to me. Today was an awesome day and so fun to be out there," he said on Twitter.

"I love Nazare. Cant wait for next year!!!"

AAP

1. Mark09:22pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Awesome. Just wish they had posted a few more pics of this. Chris J must be trolling saying that his beautiful and courageous PM Julia will be winning anything...

2. deslyn08:46pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

If thats what the wave looks like......What does the beach look like?

3. Nat07:53pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Well done to Garrett for succeeding with this fantastic & exciting achievement. The other people that have left these pathetic comments on here are only jealous of Garrett's achievement and they will never achieve any goals in life because they are small minded and immature.

4. Howard hao vu Nhan06:17pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I was marooned on a volcanic island.

5. Russell06:09pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Pete Evens has an annoying face

6. watchingu05:55pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

why do stupid,stupid fools make inane comments about politics etc. when we should be admiring the amazing things that humans can do.

7. Semi Meo05:45pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

...uh..I .was sea-sick I think...should have read "..bum on our seats!...my bad...

8. Semi Meo05:44pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Yawn...only 100 ft??..most of us "surf" above the clouds with bum on our seas!!...but, congrats to Mr.McNamara!

9. Ron05:32pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I was shipwrecked in 30 foot waves, so can't begint to imagine what a 100 footer looks like - gutsy McNamara, you are something! As for the comments about Gillard - who cares? She is a liar and a cheat, and the most hated "Australian" ever.

10. DedTed05:28pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Every attempt at these ridiculously dangerous waves is a suicide mission-he's been lucky so far! If I was him, with the top record, I'd quite while I was ahead! Amazing but pretty stupid too.