Why Mark Webber doubted Lance Armstrong

Yahoo!7 January 30, 2013, 7:54 am

Australian Formula One driver Mark Webber has revealed how he distanced himself from Lance Armstrong up to five years before the disgraced cyclist confessed to doping.

In a column for the BBC, Webber has revealed how their friendship disintegrated when he started to doubt Armstrong's constant denials.

The pair had been riding together on several occasions, but Webber's ill-feeling towards Armstrong started when the Texan failed to show for the 2008 Monaco Grand Prix without an apology.

"That, coupled with the persistent rumours about Armstrong being a serial liar and a drug cheat, and long conversations I had had with the respected sports journalist Paul Kimmage (who had been on Armstrong's case for years), made me realise that perhaps he wasn't all I had hoped him to be," Webber wrote.

"I kept asking myself how it was that everyone who beat Armstrong tested positive but he never did. It became a very heavy and difficult subject to discuss with the mutual friends we shared.

"I told them two years ago that he had to come clean but they felt it was something he was unlikely to do. The word "defiant" always seemed to crop up. Armstrong was defiant all the way; he believed he was clean."

Webber said Armstrong's defiance was evident during his tell-all interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this month, when he finally admitted to doping in all seven of his Tour de France victories.

Webber believes while Armstrong "admitted he was a doper, but still didn't see it as cheating".

He says the cyclist's defiance and treatment of those whoe doubted him justified a life ban from the sport.

"I think what's staggering to everyone is the amount of people he was prepared to take out on the way up; people who were morally on the right side of the bridge.

"He wasn't worried about the ramifications and the position he may have put these people in; it was all about Planet Lance."

"That's why, Lance, using your words, the "death" penalty isn't too heavy. You rubbed a lot of people's noses in it for so long and treated the rest of us like idiots.

"Whenever I think of Armstrong now, I think of the clean cyclists who competed in the system Armstrong was fuelling week in, week out."

1. Derek08:18am Thursday 31st January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Does anybody really care what Mark Webber thinks???

2. polecat12:14am Thursday 31st January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

I'm surprised more Australian's aren't sympathetic to Armstrong. The reality is like him, you're a drug infested nation of cheats. You seek immediate gratification to substitute for your shallow, meaningless lives.

3. Areel08:35pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Mr Armstrong will bounce back bigger than ever. Look at Tiger Woods ? His popularity levels have increased threefold and he is knocking on the door of world number 1 yet again. Armstrong will be back in the social limelight bigger and better than ever and we the world look forward to that day. Kindest regards Areel

4. Areel08:22pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

In my own honest opinion , I believe the Red Herring is actually Beady. Either way I don't mind because I like them both very much. They support team Labor forever which is the vast unprecedented opinion of the nation as we speak. Our principles are based on honesty , hard work and a fair go for all. Ms Gillard abides by this code of ethics without exception. She is the mother I never had. Ms Gillard , I think I love you. Kindest regards Areel

5. Areel08:13pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

And why are you pretending to be Vicki Ghost Hunter ? Do you not realise your punctuation , grammar and idiosyncrasies are identical ? An educated eye such as Areels , CJ's or the Wiz will find you wanting everytime my dear. You need to lift your game son or better still help lift Brian off the toilet again. Kindest regards Areel

6. Areel08:01pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Plenty of rain the last few days followed by gorgeous sun and even temperatures. The birds happily sing away as they bed down for the evening. An abundance of rainbow lorikeets are present in my backyard , something we didn't actually see until July 1st 2012 when the carbon tax revolution began. Nature is enjoying a carbon emission free environment for the first time in 240 years !!! Kindest regards Areel

7. Areel07:54pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Ghost Hunter is trying to gain approval from the ladies ( Nadia ). You're not fooling anyone my friend least of all your morbidly obese boyfriend Brian. Kindest regards Areel

8. Areel07:51pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

There's no doubt that Labor will retain power in September , the real question is by how much. I honestly can't see labor losing any seats as we hold undisputed and clear majority over the tiny minority right whingers. Australia has had enough of Mr No. Lets begin celebrations of Labors victory today ! It's going to be a landslide !!! Kindest regards Areel

9. Ghost Hunter07:07pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

@ Nadia - Mark Webber is totally the opposite of that gutless little queer 'c j' ! Pathetic, cowardly 'c j' has the 'privileged' job of a part-time table cleaner and floor moper at Maccas - after being sacked from his part-time job as a shelf stacker at Woolies. That should give you an idea of the 'intelligence', or extreme lack thereof, that 'live-at-home-with-mummy-forever' 'c j', has to get by with.

10. Vicki06:53pm Wednesday 30th January 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Totally agree @Nicole... Plus; I dunno - there's just something a little bizarre about men in skintight spandex peddling flat out down the road annoying other road users... ;-) Sports stars are hardly heroes - they don't put themselves in harms way. Soldiers, ambo's, rescue squads, police, firies, bush firies - those who help out in the bush fires & floods we go through - they're the REAL heroes. They're WORTH the applause!!!