Ricky Ponting set to get one last chance

By Martin Smith, Yahoo!7 November 26, 2012, 11:32 am

The career of one of Australia’s greatest ever cricketers is set to go on the line in Perth this weekend.

Veteran Ricky Ponting is under immense pressure to keep his spot in the side after scoring just 20 runs in three innings against South Africa.

The 38-year-old is expected to be given another chance in the third Test, which starts in Perth on Friday.

But with age against him and younger batsmen knocking on the door, Ponting knows his career may be over if he fails again.

"I'm a realist," he said on Sunday.

"I live in the real world and I know if I'm not getting runs I might not make the summer out and I definitely won't be in England (for the Ashes in 2013).

"If I score runs then I will get myself selected. If I don't, I will leave the door open for someone else to come in my spot."

Selectors have several batsmen to turn to should Ponting’s poor run of form continue.

Highly-credentialed youngsters Phillip Hughes and Usman Khawaja have been standouts in domestic cricket this summer, while lesser known batsmen like Alex Doolan, Callum Ferguson and Joe Burns have also been impressive.

Calls for Ponting to retire mirror the criticism he received 12 months ago when his form deteriorated.

He responded with a brilliant series against India last summer, which saw him fail to pass 50 just once in six innings.

With his short-term future secure, Ponting began the domestic season strongly and looked primed for another big summer of Test cricket."The disappointing thing for me about the start of this Test series is I have felt in really good touch" he said."My (Sheffield) Shield stuff early season has been really good and I actually felt I was batting better than I had in a few years."Ponting's two dismissals in Adelaide indicate his footwork and reflexes may be on the decline.Bowled on both occasions, he slipped and was embarrassingly left on his hands and knees in the first innings after a brilliant swinging delivery from Jacques Kallis beat his bat and hit off stump.The veteran knows the pressure is on to turn his form around."I haven't spoken to the selectors anything about my immediate future and they haven't spoken to me about it either," Ponting said."I'm sure that conversation is going to come in the near future but nothing has happened just yet."If Ponting is selected for Perth as expected, he will equal Steve Waugh’s Australian record of 168 Tests.Do you think Ricky Ponting should be given another chance?

1. gowiththeflow12512:58am Tuesday 27th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Leave Him in for rest of series. Not so long ago people were on M.Clarke 's case. Allow him his chance , he certainly deserves it.

2. Gurney Skiffen08:45pm Monday 26th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I'm a diehard ponting fan but alas, its time. Put in ferguson & kawaja & give clark a young team to forge & the ashes will be ours next summer. As a point of interest I think Ponting IS our greatest cricketer. But one M.Clarke may just be able to out do him on current form.

3. Derek04:42pm Monday 26th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Well said Gabriel!!

4. robert02:27pm Monday 26th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

They wanted to get rid of Clarke Mike Hussey and a few other notables,many have had bad patches yet people want them gone.Watson would be the most prominent for going cheap.Sack Ricky at your peril,but who's going to replace him.He'll fire in Perth,no doubt about it.

5. Furry01:49pm Monday 26th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

All good things come to an end babe... its just how you end it for which you will be remembered. .. with class or shoved out. Your choice. Seems its going to be the shoved though ... bit of a pity. Youve had a good run Ricky time to move over.

6. Lord Ian01:43pm Monday 26th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Yeah i agree with Angry Christian So lets see if there is a God & he turns up on the pitch to give Ricky his marching orders....i think he is a MYTH Ha Ha Ha...Go Ponti....? your the Man :-)

7. Lord Ian01:34pm Monday 26th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

yeah give him ago,he has done more than any Aussie player & i think he Deserves it... :-)

8. Angry Christian01:32pm Monday 26th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Only God has the right to kick Ponting out of the national team.

9. Gabriel01:30pm Monday 26th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Boyz2Men.

10. Gabriel01:29pm Monday 26th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

When he first made the Australian National Team I made fun of him because he looked like a little kid. Wow! What a guy; he's amazing that he's still in the hunt after all these years. Thanks for everything Ricky. What a man you've turned out to be while I am just a cowardly blogger.Best wishes always man, thanks for all the memories and all of your strength over the years for keeping our team and handing it over to Pup. Gabriel.