Shocking documentary Buffalo Girls reveals brutal world of child Muay Thai fighting

Yahoo!7 November 9, 2012, 10:43 am

A shocking documentary about the lives of child blood sports is set to be released next week, revealing a brutal world where kids as young as eight fight.

The story follows two eight-year-old girl boxers who fight in Muay Thai matches as a way of making money for their families.

The children are shown in the documentary titled "Buffalo Girls" viciously fighting each other without much in the way of protective gear, with many shots aimed at the head and body.

Participants in the sport can suffer serious injuries such as broken bones. The girls train for several hours a week to prepare for the brutal competition.

There are believed to be up to 30,000 participants in the violent sport. The girls, who come from poor backgrounds, fight to help their families survive.

One of the girls, Stam, said she fought because she wanted to make money.

"I want to make lots of money to make Mum and Dad happy," the girl said in the trailer.

The other chief protagonist, Pet, said she was doing it for her family.

"I want to help my family. They use the money to pay the rent."

Muay Thai is a style of Thai kickboxing where opponents use punches, elbows and kicking to beat their opponent.

1. Danny07:47pm Friday 09th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

The west have some diabolical ways to treat their children, so does the East. This is one of them. Broken legs and arms, broken noses, children under ten fighting in order to make adults money. 30,000 of them. How anyone can be OK with the exploitation of children this way beats me. I would be interested to hear an intelligent well thought out response as to why this is regarded as a good way to treat children.

2. Glib05:12pm Friday 09th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I would never travel to such a grotty backward country.

3. Chap04:31pm Friday 09th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

That is what happens when the rich countries use lower developed countries to sell their products. Thise people's IQ is not yet high enough developed to cope with fast speeding modernism, thus they want the same luxury-stuff as others. Combine this with countries where laziness and day by day thinking thrives highly and you get those explanations of 'I need money for the family". A complete misguidance from the moment that they are born by parents and school. Families of for example 7 members living mostly in the same place, they send two or three out to work (or find money with tricks, cheats and crime), then they all live on only the income those three members make and the rest sits on their lazy a## doing nothing to looking pitiful . A few months or half a year later they swap, three others go work and the rest sits on their lazy a##. If try to talk with them to try to get them a bit of responsibility, motivation, etc... then they quickly use culture or religion or the most fantastic reasons to try to rectify their lazy and irresponsible behaviour. As long as Human Rights and all those associations to protect/help children and low IQ people not act decently to force economist to first instruct people how to live responsible before pouring luxury into their countries, we will see such cruel matters happen. The 'facade' countries are the most dangerous for all theses kinds of cruelty.

4. Deb04:15pm Friday 09th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

This is #$%$ disgusting. i could only watch a few seconds of it before tears were running down my face... who would allow their daughters to live such a brutal life? I don't have daughters, but there is no way i would see my 3 boys doing such a thing

5. logansinfo04:12pm Friday 09th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

This is sick - the people who watch and bet on this type of event are even more sickening!

6. michael04:10pm Friday 09th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Yahoo again attempts to outrage all the soccer mums. This is how they cover "sport".

7. Terina03:49pm Friday 09th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

lets make them like us shall we no dont hit each other beat up old men and women hey even rape and kill them while where at it I will give you drugs cause its cool all the kids do it oh and what about schoolies yes go drink get drunk its what we do its the australian way . #$%$ white trash always telling us darkys how to live look at yourselfs first.

8. Terina03:48pm Friday 09th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

9. Alexander03:47pm Friday 09th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

The only thing that really disturbs me is the gambling going on in the stands. Where there is gambling there will be temptation, exploitation and corruption. My girls did martial arts as kids and fought in competitions. And their kids are doing the same. Gambling is what makes this brutal.

10. Belki03:41pm Friday 09th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I will not be watching this,that way when people ask my opinon I can say I didnt see it .I will not pass judgement or make comments on something I know nothing about