Mundine sorry for comments but says national anthem needs to change

Staff writers with AAP, Yahoo!7 October 19, 2012, 5:28 pm

Anthony Mundine has apologised for his incendiary comments regarding Tasmanian Aborigines but stopped short of saying sorry for causing offence to rival boxer Daniel Geale.

Speaking in Redfern in Sydney on Friday, Mundine said his comments weren't intended to cause harm.

"I'd like to apologise if my comments have offended some Aborigines in Tasmania," Mundine said.

"I know there are a lot of Aborigines in Tasmania that are proud of their heritage just like me.

"My comments weren't directed at anybody but the system that in my opinion doesn't reflect the first, second or third generation Aboriginals."

"There are people who get jobs and are claiming benefits who claim to be Aboriginal because they have a great, great, great, great grandmother or grandfather, and that's it.

"The system needs to accommodate those Aboriginals that need it most instead of trying to cater for everyone."

Mundine went on to accuse Australia of gross intolerance, and labelled the national anthem a 'theme song' of the White Australia policy.

"I think the anthem needs to be changed. It was the theme song for the White Australia Policy," Mundine said.

"Everyone that comes here and a lot of my close friends and family members, we feel Australia is one of the most racist countries here."

"I want to move forward, I want to unite the people, I want to move forward as one as all Australian."

"We've never had any representation on the flag, I can't fly it, and I want to fly it for the Australian people."

At Thursday's media conference to announce a rematch with Geale, the 37-year-old drew widespread condemnation for questioning Tasmanian-born Geale's Aboriginal heritage.

"I thought they wiped all the Aborigines from Tasmania out, that's all I know," Mundine said.

"I don't see him representing us black people or coloured people. I don't see him out in the community doing what I do with people.

"He's got a white woman, white kids."

Mundine said he hoped this latest controversy could be a spark for change in the way Aborigines were treated in the wider community.

Mundine also said he hoped Australia would adopt a new anthem and national flag.

1. Illegal Immigrant08:36am Wednesday 14th November 2012 ESTReport Abuse

So bucket mouth would rather be back running naked around the scrub chasing a kangaroo for a feed. Ii think not somehow. A little gratitude wouldn't go astray bucket.

2. Ghost Hunter10:42pm Sunday 21st October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

'motor-mouth mundine looks damned WHITE to me ! UGLY - but still WHITE !

3. JONNY WHITE SNAKE02:44pm Sunday 21st October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

national anthem yep change it to my boomerang wont come back. first line is im a big disgrace to the aboriginal race,

4. JONNY WHITE SNAKE02:31pm Sunday 21st October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

mundine ... what a clown ,, becomes a muslim because casius clay did . and in coming that he insults himself. his parents . the whole aboriginal community . women of the whole world. and his country . Danny Geal is a real man . and words can not insult him.

5. U DREW 1st BLOOD01:17pm Sunday 21st October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Anthony..!! Anthony..!! if your unhappy with people calling you " SOOTY " you can always adopt the same lightening system Micheak Jackson used...............?

6. *****10:40am Sunday 21st October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

foxnaif - get over it! We have!!

7. Pungeye Bob10:37am Sunday 21st October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Sharia Law is not all bad? two/three wives a dozen kids, no work commitments King of the castle. They all wear the bhurka so you don't have to concern yourself about the ugly ones in public. They don't abide gays or lesbians so they had better keep a lower profile. As for the christian dior mohair stocking (hairy leg) brigade well they also will need to scale back their profile as it may lead to a Malala situation. When you start to weigh it up Sharia Law does seem to have some upside.

8. Al10:26am Sunday 21st October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Looses all whinge, we white Aussies are doing it now, who cares about #$%$s they don;t care about us. This is the true fact no one cares more about others than they do themselves. Well it is going to be fun when we are under Shari law and guys like mundine will be told to shut up or they will cut their tongues out

9. Boris07:51am Sunday 21st October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I've read the Comment Guidelines and most of the comments here breach them. They should be removed. However, they show Mundine is right. And if you don't think so, educate yourselves and read "Aboriginal history" Vol 25. It shines a light on Australia's genocidal policies towards the Aborigines.

10. Mick Mombasa11:29pm Saturday 20th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Mundine and other racists clearly don't understand genetics. If any one of their ancestors is from another race,no matter how far back, then they would not exist if it hadn't been for that ancestor. I doubt that anyone on the planet is "purebred" so it is stupid to be racist as you are probably hating yourself. Everyone in the chain is of equal importance.Aside from that, if we were all DNA tested, somewhere along the line one or more of our supposed great great great great great grandparents by marriage is probably not related to us by blood. It was probably the milkman or a neighbor who provided some of your DNA way back so you may be related to the race you are bagging! LOL!