Fevola may yet make AFL return

Yahoo!7 staff writers, Yahoo!7 October 9, 2012, 12:25 pm

Brendan Fevola may yet return to the AFL after admitting several clubs had shown interest in his services.

Fevola spent last season with Yarrawonga Pigeons where he kicked 105 goals, following on from his 2011 stint with Casey Scorpions.

Fevola has not played AFL since 2010 when was axed by Brisbane Lions.

The Former Carlton star however said he had not given up hope of a return to the top grade.

"There has been a bit of talk to my management," he said on Nova FM this morning.

He did however state a return was unlikely despite 'a few teams' making inquiries.

"I'd love to play football, I'd love to get another crack," he said.

"The worst thing about not playing football (at the top level) is when you retired you know you are finished, obviously I didn’t get a chance to retire.

"The fact that I can still play football, still hurts a bit, I know I could be out there and I know I could play well.

"The body is sound. I’m a full-forward, full-forwards don’t get out too much ... The body is intact. The mind is good."

Fevola said his passion for the game was reunited while player for Yarrawonga where he helped the team to their first Ovens and Murray League premiership in five years.

He kicked five goals in the grand final against Albury.

1. Russell's10:35pm Tuesday 23rd October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Fevola is big, strong and a goal kicking machine, as well as wanting to return to AFL. Any of the bottom sides could do far worse, than to give Brendan a twelve month contract. First and foremost he is a goal kicker, not an altar boy. Wake up and give him another go...

2. Agnes09:04pm Tuesday 09th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

i think he should give up on returning to footy change direction all together and head to cricket. with his weight at the moment he would make an ideal heavy roller for a cricket pitch. it's almost environmentally friendly. he runs on alternative fuels ie. V.B. but the methane he would give off he might not be carbon neutral. i could imagine michael clarke during the summer turning to the grounds keepers and saying "give the track a Fev"...

3. Imacarltonidiot08:05pm Tuesday 09th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Fit in well at Carlton

4. Imacarltonidiot08:05pm Tuesday 09th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Fit in well at Carlton

5. fred06:32pm Tuesday 09th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Fev your an idiot enough said.

6. Richard04:59pm Tuesday 09th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I hope he makes a comeback. Could be a true Cinderella story. What have clubs like Melbourne, the Bulldogs and Richmond got to lose? They are hopeless anyway. It would be good to see if Fevola can redeem himself. Give him a go. He'd come cheap. It could be one of those sporting stories that are the stuff of legend. And if not, so what? It would be the milk of human kindness if someone took a chance on him. I doubt he would be the toxic influence to other players that some claim is the danger of hiring him. He plays up once and show him the door. But give him a chance. Maybe he is rehabilitated.

7. Jeff04:24pm Tuesday 09th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

he's got a pigeon brain no doubt

8. michael04:00pm Tuesday 09th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

no young club will take him, as they must create a culture of perfection, role models, and leadership, and fev is a good example of what 'NOT' to do. This will backfire badly on the club, and put other's jobs at risk. Again, sorry Fev - love ya work on field, but a few hours a week of good work will never offset a lifetime of 'oops, sorry'.

9. John03:55pm Tuesday 09th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

not worth another shot. as the old saying goes leopards never change their spots

10. michael03:55pm Tuesday 09th October 2012 ESTReport Abuse

I'm actually a Fev fan. Unfortunately, I think he is "over the hill" as far as contributing in a performance based role, that is reliant on results. Secondly, he says the body is good to go; me too, buts it will not be at the level required to give a team the forward momentum required to justify his inclusion. Finally, he is a 'repeat offender' of the worst kind. Superstars get it in their heads that they are above everyone else, and that's not all their fault, but ultimately, he will trip up, and he shouldn't be blamed for that. The people who gave him 'another shot' should get the kick in the #$%$ Love ya Fev, but sit back, and watch the true professionals go about their business.