Newcastle United 4-3 West Ham United: Harvey Barnes scores twice from bench to seal dramatic win

Harvey Barnes scores against West Ham
Harvey Barnes has scored four goals in the Premier League this season [Reuters]

Eddie Howe said Harvey Barnes was "incredible" after the winger came off the bench to score twice as Newcastle edged a dramatic seven-goal thriller against West Ham at St James' Park.

Barnes, returning from a two-game absence due to a thigh injury, was introduced as a substitute in the 67th minute with Newcastle trailing 3-1.

The England international went on to boost Newcastle's hopes of securing another campaign in Europe with a late double.

"He is an incredible player," Howe told BBC Match of the Day.

"We have missed him this season and he would have given us quality wherever he played. He is a goalscorer and they are so valuable, and his two finishes today were of the highest quality. Of course, the last one was memorable and will always be remembered - and what a finish it was. That's the quality he has."

Newcastle made the perfect start when Anthony Gordon won a penalty with just three minutes played and Isak converted from 12 yards.

But the game started to get away from the Magpies when West Ham scored three unanswered goals.

Michail Antonio brought the Hammers on to level terms before Mohammed Kudus and Jarrod Bowen scored within minutes either side of half-time.

Isak scored his second penalty of the afternoon after Gordon was again adjudged to have been fouled and Barnes grabbed the equaliser in the 83rd minute.

With momentum and a vociferous St James' Park firmly behind them, Newcastle pressed on and Barnes emphatically fired in a 90th-minute winner.

There was further drama to come in injury time as Newcastle were reduced to 10 men when Gordon received a second yellow card for kicking the ball away, but they managed to hold out for a victory that could prove vital in their pursuit of European football.

Newcastle climb up to eighth, just a point behind West Ham in seventh.

Barnes boosts European hopes

Prior to kick-off Eddie Howe stressed the importance of Newcastle making a positive start upon their return from the international break, with 10 games to try and salvage something from an underwhelming season.

It was an emotional rollercoaster for the Newcastle faithful but, ultimately, an afternoon that could prove to be a pivotal moment.

There was little doubt that top-scorer Isak would dispatch his penalty to get them up and running, but things started to fall apart soon after when Jamaal Lascelles went off with an injury.

Emil Krafth came on in his place as Newcastle shuffled around their backline but they looked disjointed as Antonio found space to equalise.

After Kudus and Bowen gave West Ham a two-goal cushion the atmosphere within St James' Park started to turn toxic, yet the players maintained their belief and fought to get back into the encounter.

Isak reduced the deficit with his second penalty, taking his tally for the season in the Premier League to 14, although the decision to award the spot-kick seemed harsh with Kalvin Phillips penalised for catching Gordon as he attempted to clear the ball.

Referee Rob Jones did not initially point to the spot but he changed his mind after being asked to review the incident on the pitchside monitor.

Newcastle, who have been plagued by injury issues all season, lost a further two players during the second half with Krafth and Miguel Almiron forced off.

But Barnes turned the game on its head with two goals in the last 10 minutes of regulation time.

Barnes, who joined from Leicester in a £38m deal in July, has struggled with injuries during his debut campaign with Newcastle and was making just his 12th Premier League appearance.

"They are the moments I have missed so much," Barnes told BBC Match of the Day.

"For me, I miss that feeling of being out there, and when I am I want to make up for lost time, and today was a great step forward with that.

"You can't really describe those feelings sometimes, so late on in the game, and then after that it was just hoping we can hold on to the result and get the three points and we did that."

Gordon's injury-time red card for petulant behaviour made Newcastle's job of hanging on a little bit harder than they would have liked, and the winger will now miss a reunion with former club Everton on Tuesday.

With potentially the top eight places offering up European football in the Premier League, Newcastle have ensured they remain firmly in the mix.

Defensive woes for West Ham

After overcoming an early set-back of conceding inside three minutes, West Ham seemed to be on course to strengthen their grip on a European berth while denting the hopes of one of their rivals.

Antonio's equaliser set them on their way, scoring his second goal in as many games, before Kudus and Bowen gave the visitors breathing space as they looked for a first win against the Magpies since August 2021.

But it was a familiar story for David Moyes' men as they were exposed defensively.

West Ham have now conceded 54 goals this season with just Luton (60), Burnley (63) and Sheffield United (74) conceding more.

It is now three games without victory for the Hammers following draws against Burnley and Aston Villa, while they have won just one away game in the league since the turn of the year - losing three and drawing one.