NBL's Froling injured in late-night attack

Brisbane forward Harry Froling will miss the rest of the NBL season after a suspected punch to the head left him unconscious on a Wollongong street.

Froling remains in hospital in Brisbane with head injuries. He is in a stable condition after the incident, which occurred about 2am on Sunday after the Bullets' defeat of the Hawks on Saturday.

The 24-year-old discharged himself from Wollongong Hospital on Sunday morning to catch a flight back to Brisbane with the team, before he reported to Prince Charles Hospital with continued head soreness.

Scans then reportedly confirmed a fractured skull and bleed on the brain that required surgery.

NSW Police said in a statement their investigation suggests Froling was punched in the head and fell to the ground.

A 19-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday afternoon after turning himself in at Wollongong's police station.

The Bullets, who are out of finals contention, on Tuesday released a statement confirming Froling will miss the team's final three games of the season.

The club declined to comment further on Froling's decision to fly home with the team.

"The Brisbane Bullets are working closely with NSW Police and NBL integrity unit as they investigate the circumstances surrounding an alleged assault on Harry Froling," the Bullets said in a statement.

"As an investigation is under way, the club is not in a position to make any further comment, other than to say the players, coaches and staff all send their well wishes to Harry and his family."

Froling is from Townsville and played with the Hawks, where his younger brother Sam now plays, last NBL season.

He won the NBL's 2019 rookie of the year award and recently notched 150 games in the league.

Brisbane have won their past three games to improve to 8-17 in a horror season that included a 49-point loss to Sydney this month and saw coach James Duncan axed last year.