The 2020 NBA Dunk Contest ended as so many dunk contests before it had - with a controversy over the judging.
Miami Heat forward Derrick Jones Jr. was judged the winner after a thrilling back and forth with the Orlando Magic’s Aaron Gordon, but many felt the latter was robbed, after putting up five 50-point dunks, only to lose on his final attempt.
'TRUE INSPIRATION': Patty Mills' surprise visit to bushfire ravaged towns
'IT’S BEEN ZION’D': NBA rookie literally breaks rim in exhibition game
Jones Jr. and Gordon traded athletic dunks before the final round, where the Heat star’s windmill dunk from just inside the free throw line was enough to topple Gordon.
The consensus among NBA fans however, what that Gordon had been robbed.
In answer to Jones Jr.’s earlier effort, Gordon summoned Boston Celtics rookie Tacko Fall from the crowd.
Fall, who stands at a whopping 7’5 (226cm) was just a spectator, before Gordon beckoned him to hold a ball just behind his head.
The Magic forward jumped clean over Fall and slamming the ball home - dangling off the rim in celebration.
Most fans in the building and online thought it was over - Gordon hadn’t scored any less than 50 for any of his previous attempts, and the expectation was his leap over Fall was deserving of a similar score.
But it was not to be - the judges awarded Gordon a 47, one shy of Jones Jr.’s 48.
Cue the eruption on Twitter.
Another Chicago dunk contest robbery— Vincent Goodwill (@VinceGoodwill) February 16, 2020
all of the dunk contest judges should be arrested— Matt Ellentuck (@mellentuck) February 16, 2020
Not sure I've ever been legitimately angry about the result of the dunk contest before tonight, haha— Andy Bailey (@AndrewDBailey) February 16, 2020
Aaron Gordon has like 8 of the best 10 dunks in the Dunk Competition over the last 25 years and didn’t win a single Dunk Contest— Tommy Beer (@TommyBeer) February 16, 2020
The world record in the high jump is 7 ft 11.67 inches. Gordon jumped over a guy who is 7-6 in shoes, grabbed a basketball and dunked it.— John Hollinger (@johnhollinger) February 16, 2020
Luckily for the NBA, Gordon took his loss in stride - although the 24-year-old joked about wanting to find which judges gave his dunk over Fall a 9, before declaring his days of entering the contest were over.
Gordon was earlier a participant in the 2016 contest, which boasted a similar back and forth between himself and Zach LaVine, which many also believed the Magic star should have won.
“It’s a wrap, bro,” Gordon said.
“I feel like I should have two trophies.
“I did 5 straight 50s. That should be a wrap, it’s over. Who’s running the show?”
After controversial losses in 2016 and 2020 Slam Dunk Contests, Magic’s Aaron Gordon says he’s done with the event for good: “It’s a wrap, bro. I feel like I should have two trophies.” pic.twitter.com/XlggS3aDc1— Ben Golliver (@BenGolliver) February 16, 2020