Nadal to return to action with DC debut

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·1-min read
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

World No.3 Rafael Nadal will return to competition by making his debut at the hard-court tournament in Washington.

The Citi Open announced on Thursday that the 20-time grand slam champion is in the field for the July 31 to August 8 event that serves as a US Open tune-up.

Nadal has not played since his loss to eventual champion Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals of the French Open last month - only his third loss on the Parisian clay where he has won a record 13 titles.

The 35-year-old Spaniard decided to sit out Wimbledon, which ends Sunday, and the Tokyo Olympics, which open July 23, saying his body needed time to rest and recover after the clay-court season.

"I am looking forward to playing again and Washington shall be the best start for the US Summer Swing for me," Nadal said.

Others on the list of players entered include Wimbledon semi-finalists Denis Shapovalov of Canada and Poland's Hubert Hurkacz, who beat Roger Federer on Wednesday.

Wimbledon quarter-finalists Felix Auger-Aliassime and Karen Khachanov will also take part, as will Australian Alex de Minaur.

The tournament says Rock Creek Park Tennis Center will be allowed to have spectators at 50 per cent capacity after last year's event was cancelled because of the pandemic.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting