whe...

Sign in to report this post.

Posted Tue 24 May 2011 00:20
    uNSUre
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Tue 24 May 2011 07:38
    No, I think he was as good as everyone said he was - he held a lot of records over his career, including the most pole positions and wins.  Yes, he did have the benefits of a superb team and equipment, but I think you'll find most of the successful drivers had that advantage.
    Daniel
    22 Dec 2008

Posted Wed 25 May 2011 09:27
    When he was driving at his best I don't think anyone could call him over rated.
    I do know that he did bent the rules to secure the Mobil sponsorship with the VK commodore at bathurst that year.
    When you look at some of the footage of Brock behind the wheel, he had a flamboyance that was almost unparalleled by todays drivers, still today when I see that footage I get goose bumps.  

I think the last few years of driving he was driving on his past image not on his ability but no different to any other retired driver.

He certainly hated to be the one that was seen to destroy the car as was often seen as he use to hand the car over to his co driver early and the co driver use to get one or 2 laps out of it before it died. Mind you I think he did it 2 or 3 time to Tomas Mezara I sometimes think it killed Mezar's career.

I do know that when he did the round Australia rally with a Bruce Garland prepared Rodeo diesel ute Bruce Garland thought he was a right pain in the %#@# especially when Brock rolled the Rodeo and Garland had to backtrack almost 2 hours and help Brock out. Mind you though there was a pretty big financial reward offered to Garland to get Brock home.
    lal kutta
    27 Nov 2010

Posted Thu 26 May 2011 21:07

Not by any other race driver.
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Fri 27 May 2011 08:45
    When V8SC brought out their all-time Top 10 drivers of Aussie Touring Cars, there was little (if any) really hot disputes about the rankings, from anyone.  With Peter Brock on top.  I think that pretty much says it all.
    sliprygypsie
    27 Sep 2009

Posted Fri 27 May 2011 11:08

Yes and no.He was a great driver but in my opinion not the best oz has produced,i think the Bathurst wins will see him looked at as a 'legend' by some fans but there are other Aussie drivers in other eras and competitions all over the world who are/were as good and better than Brock.RIP Brocky.
    Rusty nails
    03 May 2009

Posted Sat 28 May 2011 21:21
    YES!
    Don
    09 Oct 2008

Posted Wed 28 Sep 2011 06:27

yes hes was way overated by a long way..... 
    ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Wed 28 Sep 2011 18:22
    I would be interested to know why you think Brock was over-rated, Don.
    ----
    05 Jul 2011

Posted Mon 03 Oct 2011 23:12

This stupid topic again.

Obviously didnt see the footage from Bathurst 87 that was on V8 xtra last weekend  with Brocky sliding a VL round the mountain in the wet on slicks..

Pure Magic :)

Respect.

R.I.P.
    bourbon
    26 Dec 2008

Posted Sat 08 Oct 2011 22:28

glen seton in a skyline was better footage over the top of the mount in the rain,he was driving a car  that went from 100hp 10 400hp in a split sec not like a smooth flow from a bent 8
     i do think brock is over rated to an extent due to the fact he started in factory equipment  and had  it easy in reguard to repairs in a time where most drivers built and semi funded their racing.i just cant see broke turning an ex copcar into factory team beating car in his garage.the man could steer a car but he never had the burdin of day to day running  to survive and his hdt never got a proper one two at bathurst,only an orchestrated tryhard copy of the 2door falcons one two.i never liked the way brike broke his car and took his team mates car,never agreed with the rule and was happy when it was abolished
    bourbon
    26 Dec 2008

Posted Sat 08 Oct 2011 22:32

i forgot to say that statistics dont always make you a legend ,it the stories that get bigger and better each time they are told.
    have a good bathurst weekend all
    ----
    05 Jul 2011

Posted Sun 09 Oct 2011 01:54
    "...his hdt never got a proper one two at bathurst,only an orchestrated tryhard copy of the 2door falcons one two..."

<><>

Oh I get it now.. its because he drove a Holden... I should have known 'real motorsport fans' are authorities on such matters.
    bourbon
    26 Dec 2008

Posted Tue 11 Oct 2011 10:31

brock also drove ford porsche,chev,austin,open wheelers and bmw in his career.so to say its a holden thing is pretty narrow minded.
    the ford one/two was 2 cars both on the smae lap ,both able to win the race where as hrt s effort say brock do a lap slower than a sighting lap to have the second car catch him at the last turn not in contention for the win,not even on the same lap.a bit of a difference i think
    mattack
    28 Mar 2010

Posted Thu 13 Oct 2011 14:14
    Yes and No, but that will always be the issue of someone driving for the number 1 team. They have the crew, they have the equipment, they have the backing.

Brock was a very good driver. Just because he won 9 Bathurst races does not mean he won them all based on being a great driver. Luck plays a major part in racing, especially long distance races.

He won races changing cars.
    He won races when others in front had car problems.
    He also won races because he was the best driver on the day!

Skaife is another example, in the team with top funding and he does well, Gibson lost his funding, Skaife was back of the pack. Went to HRT and back to the front.

I rate Lowndes well in front of Skaife, but who has won more bathurst races?? ;)

Sometimes you get drivers who perform beyond what their car is capable of.

ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Fri 14 Oct 2011 08:51
    I think Murphy is a good case - does only fair to middling during the sprint races, yet come to Bathurst and he's automatically Top 5.
    mattack
    28 Mar 2010

Posted Fri 14 Oct 2011 11:35
    Scotty, totally agree about Murph. The guy loves the Bathurst track. To set the lap record on a flying one off lap in the top ten shootout says a lot.

And that is coming from a person who cannot stand Murph! The bloke has a huge chip on his shoulder.
    Don
    09 Oct 2008

Posted Tue 18 Oct 2011 06:35

Posted Wed 28 Sep 2011 18:22

I would be interested to know why you think Brock was over-rated, Don.........................................................................................
    Scotty the man was a woman basher and in my book a man who lays a hand on a woman is a looser,look at the bigger picture just because he drove a car  well the overall picture of the man shows he was way overated..i hope he burns in hell 4 bash'n bev and his 1st wife....

ScottyJay
    19 Apr 2009

Posted Tue 18 Oct 2011 17:16
    Fair enough, Don, thank you for your reply.
    Sir Lofty
    09 Oct 2008

Posted Sun 23 Oct 2011 09:14

I have never seen a jockey change horses mid race and claim a win.My personal opinion is in the same car on the day The mighty Colin Bond would walk all over brock.
    stephen b
    22 Oct 2008

Posted Fri 06 Jan 2012 20:22
    I have seen so many world class drivers since my first visit to a racetrack, Catalina Park,1965, and I would place Brockie in the top 5%. I am not about to go any further than that because there have been so many. I will, however, list my worst drivers.  1) Russell Inglall. 2) #$%$ Johnson. 3)???? Sorry, lost count at Johnson.
    Michael
    30 Jan 2010

Posted Thu 12 Jan 2012 13:02

No.
    Patsy Szorcsoki
    08 Oct 2008

Posted Sun 04 Mar 2012 09:40

i am stephen szorcsoki deaf yeah know to cant see sports gone.  bev and his 1 st wife like with family best other than sec wife that. best No 1 johnson sec moffat third j.rihard are still strong though to racing legand wonder, 4th seton 5th bowl 6th ingall still race well strong legand soon. alway love to V8 supercars wars to new 2012 .
    Brian
    09 Oct 2008

Posted Sun 20 May 2012 21:37

A bit like Lowndes and Whincup, top equipment = top driver. Brock drove good in a factory backed car but when he had that big bun fight with Holden and went his own way he didn't do too good, a bit like Lowndes with FORD. Saying that, he was a good driver though.
      ForumsV8 SupercarsWAS BROCK OVERATED "YES OR NO"
      Sign in to post and view your settings
      New User? Sign up

Latest

Top Rated

Most Discussed