Streets in Melbourne's CBD will be crawling with police as the city recovers from another car rampage attack.
Victoria Police will increase its patrols across the city grid, as well as the Southbank promenade and sporting precincts, after a vehicle was driven into pedestrians and cars in Bourke Street on Friday.
A 76-year-old Brunswick man, identified by the Herald Sun as philanthropist John Haasz, was killed and five other people injured in the carnage.
The 26-year-old driver, Zain Khan, was charged with one count of murder and three counts of attempted murder.
Commander Mark Galliott said Melbourne was preparing for one of its busiest months on the calendar.
"We understand last Friday's incident will have concerned the community," Cmdr Galliott said.
"We want to provide those people with the confidence to visit the city during what is traditionally an exciting and vibrant time of year."
He said Melburnians and visitors to the city could expect to see police on bikes, in cars, on foot and in the sky.
When asked what else the city could do to protect pedestrians, Cmdr Galliott said much had already been done.
"Melbourne has a nice balance of security, safety and being accessible," he told reporters on Tuesday.
"We will certainly review what has occurred over the next weeks and months and will be guided by the coroner."
Survivor Paul Kardis said he was on his way to an AFL game when the crash happened and may not be able to walk for months as he recovers from a shattered pelvis.
The 26-year-old told Seven News he cannot remember being clipped but has been told he was thrown five or six metres into the air.
"I'm not bitter about it, I'm very grateful for still being here," he said.
Business owners in the CBD have raised concerns that people would steer clear of the city following the fourth car rampage incident in six years.
Six people died and 27 were injured when James Gargasoulas ploughed into them after driving into Bourke Street Mall in January 2017.
In December the same year, a driver rammed pedestrians crossing on the corner of Flinders and Elizabeth streets, killing an elderly man and injuring 17 others.
In November 2018, Hassan Khalif Shire Ali parked his ute on Bourke Street and set it alight before stabbing three people, killing Melbourne cafe owner Sisto Malaspina in a terror attack.
Premier Daniel Andrews has suggested there is nothing more the government can do to protect pedestrians, but flagged it would look at any recommendations made by a coronial inquest into the latest death.