Man hospitalised after being stung in an unusual place by a bee

Josh Dutton
·News Reporter
·1-min read

A man has been hospitalised after a bee stung him in the eye.

The 22-year-old, from India, complained of redness, pain, and decreased vision one hour after being stung in the left eye according to the case published in the New England Journal of medicine.

His vision reduced from 20/40 to 20/20 but he told doctors he could only see hand movements close to his face with the left eye.

A man, 22, pictured with a bee stinger in his eye.
A man was hospitalised after a bee's stinger (pictured with the arrow) got lodged in his left eye. Source: NEJM

“Ocular examination of the left eye showed diffuse corneal haziness caused by corneal edema; a retained stinger that was surrounded by infiltrates was visible,” researchers wrote.

“Corneal bee stings, although rare, can have manifestations ranging from mild irritation to vision loss. Possible complications include corneal decompensation and secondary glaucoma.”

Treating a bee sting in the eye

The man was treated with moxifloxacin ophthalmic solution which is commonly used to treat bacterial infections in eyes.

Doctors also removed the stinger under local anesthetic.

He was given medication for two weeks and after three months his vision was restored.

Do you have a story tip? Email: newsroomau@yahoonews.com.

You can also follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and download the Yahoo News app from the App Store or Google Play.