Man City held, Inter Milan win in Champions League

Josko Gvardiol has stifled the threat of Manchester City star Erling Haaland before scoring himself to earn RB Leipzig a 1-1 draw in the first leg of their round-of-16 matchup in the Champions League.

The Croatia center-back, nicknamed "Little Pep" because of the similarities of his last name with that of City manager Pep Guardiola, headed home the equaliser in the 70th minute against the English champions.

Elsewhere on Wednesday night, Inter Milan goalkeeper Andre Onana shined and substitute Romelu Lukaku scored the home side's late winner in the 1-0 victory against a 10-man Porto, who had Otavio sent off in the 78th minute.

In Germany, Guardiola held a mini-debrief with his players on the field after the final whistle, clearly unhappy at seeing the team throw away the advantage after a first-half performance that could have led to more than just Riyad Mahrez's 20th Champions League goal.

Haaland had only seven touches before halftime -- none of them in Leipzig's penalty area -- and he had only one opportunity in the whole match, when he got free down the right midway through the second half and dragged a shot wide.

Leipzig's extra intensity and aggression paid off as the German team finally showed why they had lost just one of their 20 previous matches in all competitions.

Benjamin Henrichs side-footed wide when he was one on one with keeper Ederson, who also got down well to deny Andre Silva.

However, Ederson was left stranded when Marcel Halstenberg swung over a cross and 21-year-old Gvardiol -- one of the best defenders at last year's World Cup and among Europe's most sought-after young players -- got above Ruben Dias to nod the ball into an unguarded net.

"What do you expect, that we are playing a friendly game here?" Guardiola said, when asked why his team was unable to retain their domination in the second half.

"How many games have you seen from Leipzig? You expect us to come here and win 0-5? That is not a reality."

After ending his goalscoring drought last weekend, Inter striker Lukaku took his tally to just four since returning from Chelsea in the off-season as the Belgium forward has struggled with injury and poor form.

Lukaku replaced Edin Dzeko in the 58th and broke the deadlock with four minutes remaining. His header from Nicolo Barella's cross came off the post but he tucked away the rebound.

"I went through really difficult months with the injury but I'm happy to be available again and happy to have helped get the win," Lukaku said.

"I'm not individualistic, I only think about Inter, about doing the best for Inter."

Inter have lost only once since the beginning of November, while Porto came into the match on a 22-game unbeaten run and had only let in two goals in their past 11 matches.

Lautaro Martinez and Hakan Calhanoglu had chances inside 20 minutes before Porto withstood the pressure and had two chances of their own, which Marko Grujic spurned.

The best chance -- and the best save -- of the half came in added time as the visitor's Diogo Costa pushed away an Alessandro Bastoni header.

It was Onana's turn for heroics at the start of the second half with a double save to deny Mehdi Taremi and then Zaidu.

The second legs of both ties take place on March 14.