The British and Irish Lions have said they are going to go ahead with their original plans of a summer tour to South Africa.
Contingency plans, including an offer from Australia to act as hosts for the three-match Test series, had been put forward due to ongoing uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
But following a succession of meetings, the Lions board has confirmed to SA Rugby its preference to stick with the initial plan of matches being hosted by South Africa during July and August.
Lions chairman Jason Leonard said in a statement: "After reviewing information relating to the various contingency scenarios being considered, I can confirm that the board's intended position is for the tour to go ahead as scheduled in South Africa in 2021.
"We acknowledge that there is a significant amount of work still to be undertaken to deliver a robust COVID-19 counter-measure plan to ensure a successful, safe and uninterrupted tour.
"SA Rugby will have our full support to help implement this plan."
The Lions, coached by Warren Gatland, are due to play Test matches in Johannesburg on July 24 and August 7, either side of a game in Cape Town on July 31.
Earlier this month, the Lions board had turned down Australia's offer to stage the tour in front of crowds but there is still uncertainty about whether the games in South Africa will end up behind closed doors.
President of SA Rugby Mark Alexander said: "There are serious financial implications for SA Rugby should the event take place without any supporters in attendance, and we cannot ignore that in our considerations.
"But we are determined that the eventual outcome will deliver the best occasion and experience for players, supporters and our commercial partners."
Rugby Football Union chief executive Bill Sweeney made it clear that, if South Africa are unable to host, then it will be cancelled.