Barba's girlfriend denies rumours of physical abuse

Yahoo!7 February 27, 2013, 10:30 am

The former girlfriend of troubled Bulldogs star Ben Barba has hit back at vicious rumours about the couple.

Ainslie Currie defended the Dally M winner against claims of physical abuse, saying he had never assaulted her, News Ltd reports.

Currie said she wanted to set the record straight after rumours began to spread like wildfire on social networks.

"I heard rumours floating around about my personal life and I have had family and friends ring to see if I am OK," she said.

"For the record, I am OK.

"I am healthy but I am dealing with an enormous situation regarding my break-up, which is being played out in a public forum.

"Ben has asked for privacy from the Bulldogs and the media and I guess it's my turn to let people know that I am fine."I am not physically hurt but dealing with a very personal situation that involves my children and myself."It is believed the breakdown of Barba's relationship with Currie triggered the star's downward spiral.The estranged pair have two children together, and reports suggested the pair could face off in a custody battle.The Bulldogs stood Barba down indefinitely after he admitted to Greenberg and coach Des Hasler on Sunday he was struggling to cope with issues away from the field.

1. “ Your Weatherman ”08:43pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Weather the Storm boy....fine weather the rest of the week

2. “ Your Weatherman ”08:37pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

south to south easterelys,hot in the Pilbras & very windy,Hobart looks like fine weather

3. robert06:15pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Why are people accusing the poor guy of being a wife basher?a drug addict?he's mentally ill?he has a gambling habit,just total #$%$he's just split up with someone he obviously loves and cares about.Give the guy a break,and let him sort his problems out.He'll be back, and i hope he can reconcile his relationship.

4. Mick06:03pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

with a defacto relationship break up obviously happening, I bet she is not going to bag him or admit to stuff. she knows she is worth a pretty penny if she keeps her mouth shut. think about it ? If she opens her trap, he will employ a top lawyer to protect his wealth.

5. Sir Wilfred of Ivanhoe04:47pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Bruce: Who are you directing this comment at? Surely not Barba? I'm certain without knowing him, that he doesn't want the publicity, is not asking you and me or joe public for understanding and some time off work to deal with his problems. Unfortunately sports people are big news in this country....the media live off them. So again who are really angry with????????

6. Sir Wilfred of Ivanhoe04:41pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

All you clowns pre judging him re abuse or drugs or whatever are so dumb and naive.....Greenberg would be the first person to bring police in if there were any CRIMINAL actions such as spousal abuse and especially to #$%$ ackman........where r your facts re ANY abuse????? You #$%$ s wouldn't say boo if your comments were taken seriously or outside of this social media.......you'd be up for defamation so fast your dumb heads would spin. ack man you provide the fodder you mental pygmy......"he gets away with murder"...surely you're thinking of Pistorius....but then again even he's presumed innocent until proven guilty!

7. stephen04:10pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

why does yahoo let people comment on thing like this and any thing real important , u can,t comment on

8. Woebegone03:17pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

The fact that Barba's girlfriend said she wasn't hit sounds mighty suspicious, and abuse as Huge J says, comes in many forms.

9. craig03:05pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Yeah right! Greg Bird's girlfriend also denied the physical abuse. This is just another case of a loser football player living like loser football players do and then crying like a big girl's blouse when it comes crashing down on him. #$%$ 'em all I say!

10. Joan02:56pm Wednesday 27th February 2013 ESTReport Abuse

Very sad.....he is young and let fame and new lifestyle loose sight of the things he treasured...should have stayed in North Queensland.