NRL star Liam Foran tells of kidnap ordeal

Yahoo!7 December 2, 2012, 11:28 am

An NRL star has opened up on his travelling ordeal where he was kidnapped and robbed of $6000.

Liam Foran, who plays for Manly, was on a family holiday in China when he was captured by eight men who demanded money from the star.

Foran was on a holiday with the family to explore the Great Wall of China, News Limited reports.

The 24-year-old was walking back to his accommodation alone after a family dinner when he was taken to an empty warehouse and his captors demanded money.

His assailants had a plastic bag with EFTPOS machines and, although Foran was carrying little cash, demanded funds from the star.

"When they first asked for money, I wasn't carrying very much," Foran told The Daily Telegraph.

"I wasn't too keen to hand over anything, either. I was saying, 'No, you're not getting my money because I don't have any'.

"But they weren't really taking no for an answer.

"When I realised that they were getting serious with what they wanted, I was out-numbered, so I didn't want to push any wrong buttons.

"Once they had my wallet, they swiped my card once and as soon as it got approved they just threw me out the door and said 'go'. It's the first time something like that's happened to me and it does shake you up a bit.

"I can't see myself probably going back (to China)."

The ordeal, which was not reported to Chinese police as Foran was leaving the country the next day, lasted about an hour.

Now Foran hopes he can get his money back from travel insurance and forget the entire incident.

"As soon as I got home I shut down my account and from what I've been told I should be able to get all my money back," Foran said.

"We had a family dinner and then everyone was heading out but I decided I was going to head home.

"So I took off on my own. Looking back, I probably shouldn't have left them but at the same time you don't expect those kinds of things to happen. We climbed the Great Wall of China with [brother and fellow Manly star] Kieran and my sister and dad. That kind of stuff you won't forget but after what happened it has left a bad taste in my mouth."

1. Pointer09:33pm Monday 03rd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Most of u people r just oxygen thieves!

2. M03:11pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

So let me get this straight - Foran was taken by 8 men to an abandoned warehouse in a foreign country and when they demanded he give them his money, he at first said NO????? Tough guy or idiot? What a tosser lol.

3. robert02:41pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Charlie: Could you tell me in a few words what supposed theft has got to do with racism??????

4. dan m01:40pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

i have traveled alone all over Thailand and Laos and have never had a problem. Foran and Dianne's husband must have been flashing cash around or trying to draw attention to themselves to get singled out. just a word of advice learn some of the language and culture before traveling alone.

5. Robert01:37pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Stephen Learn to read, Manly player who cares!!

6. Stephen Baillie01:31pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

what he didnt tell the police

7. Michael12:53pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Everyone who hates Manly (roughly 99% of the population of Qld & NSW) would have gladly contributed to a whip-around to give money to the bandits to keep him. Would have raised 2 or 3 million easily. Cowboys fans in particular would have happily sold their houses, cars and their first-born children for the kidnappers to keep Foran forever. In fact if those kidnappers ever visit Townsville, they'll likely be given a public parade and the keys to the city.Come to think of it, if it ever came down to a popularity contest between brutal Chinese kidnappers & anyone associated with Manly, the kidnappers would win by a country mile.

8. robert12:07pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

Sounds like a load of bulldust to me.Still.. i guess it's one way to get your holiday paid for.I travel to China often and have never heard of that one.

9. Dianne12:06pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse

This happened to my husband years ago in Thailand, very scary and one of the dangers of travelling ... there are desperate people everywhere...

10. Dianne12:05pm Sunday 02nd December 2012 ESTReport Abuse