LAFC shutters facilities after two more Covid-19 cases

·1-min read
Los Angeles FC announced Friday that two players have contracted Covid-19 and practice facilities were closed with a weekend Major League Soccer matchup looming against San Jose
Los Angeles FC announced Friday that two players have contracted Covid-19 and practice facilities were closed with a weekend Major League Soccer matchup looming against San Jose

Two Los Angeles FC players tested positive for Covid-19, prompting the Major League Soccer club to shutter practice facilities until further notice, a statement from the team said on Friday.

The two players returned positive tests in the wake of Wednesday's 2-1 victory over Houston Dynamo. A third player had already tested positive for the coronavirus on Tuesday.

LAFC said in a statement all other players and staff had returned returned consecutive negative test results and were not showing any symptoms.

"For precautionary reasons due to the additional confirmed positive results, the club has opted to cancel all in-person activities at the performance center until further notice," LAFC said.

"All three players that tested positive have entered self-isolation and will be monitored by the club's medical staff."

News of the test results come 48 hours before LAFC are due to face the San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday.

LAFC are fifth in the Western Conference standings and are already assured of a place in the end-of-season playoffs.

MLS, which shut down for four months in March as the coronavirus pandemic erupted, has continued to face sporadic cases of Covid-19 since restarting.

On Thursday, the league confirmed end-of-season standings would be calculated on a points-per-game basis rather than total points accrued after confirming some clubs had no way of fulfilling fixtures postponed because of Covid-19.

rcw/js