Ladies National Football League: Armagh continue unbeaten run in Division One

Armagh continued their winning start to their Division One campaign with a narrow 0-8 to 0-6 victory over Galway at the Athletic Grounds.

In a low scoring encounter, Armagh's superior first half scoring haul kept them ahead as they led by six points at the break.

Galway mounted a credible comeback in the second period but couldn't do enough to get something from the game.

Armagh have now won their opening three league games.

The swirling breeze proved difficult for both teams, although the Orchard County coped better with the conditions.

They were the dominant force in the opening period with the wind, posing the Galway defence problems on every attack, while keeping Daniel Moynihan's side scoreless for the first 30 minutes.

Not only that, but Galway's uphill challenge became a huge mountain to climb when Linda Booth received a red card for a late and high challenge on Emily Druse after just 10 minutes.

By that stage Armagh had already opened their account, with Kelly Mallon's delicate hand pass playing through Aoife McCoy before Mallon, playing at centerfield in the absence of Caroline O'Hanlon, shot over a free.

A second pointed free by Mallon was quickly followed, as Aimee Mackin got off the mark through a close range free, while corner back Roisin Mulligan extended the advantage with a lovely taken score.

Galway had a chance to get back into the game with a rare attack but Mairead Glynn's pass across the face of the goal towards Shauna Hynes, who was under pressure from Grace Ferguson, was punched wide.

Mallon had the final say of the first half when she added to her tally, stroking over a third free to give her side a comfortable lead at the break.

The second half was just two minutes old when a more determined Galway got on the scoreboard as Ailbhe Davoren split the posts, before Roisin Leonard tapped over a free.

Leonard then turned provider, setting up a Leanne Coen score to cut the deficit to three. Mallon and Lauren McConville traded scores with Leonard before Armagh lost Mackin to a yellow card for the final few minutes.

Although Leonard laced over a late score as Galway searched for a goal, it wasn't enough for the visiting side to get something from the game as they fell to a third successive defeat.

Also in Division One, a remarkable second half comeback from All-Ireland champions Dublin helped them beat Mayo 2-15 to 2-8 to pick up their first win of the league season.