Kyrgios handed wildcard for Cincinnati

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Wimbledon runner-up Nick Kyrgios has been handed a wildcard into next month's US Open tune-up event in Cincinnati, Ohio.

For the 27-year-old Australian, beaten by Novak Djokovic in his first grand slam singles final at Wimbledon last month, this will mark his sixth appearance in Cincinnati and first since 2019.

The Cincinnati Masters began in 1899 making it the oldest tournament in the United States still played in its original city. Australians have won twice, Ken Rosewall in 1970 and Pat Rafter in 1988.

Kyrgios is currently in the singles and doubles draws at the Atlanta Open where he's teaming up with compatriot Thanasi Kokkinakis. But he won't partner his good friend and the man he paired up with for Australian Open glory in January in next week's Citi Open in Washington - the event before Cincy - instead playing with Jack Sock.

"It's happening [and] I am super excited," Kyrgios said.

"I love playing with Jack because he is hands down the best player in the world, but at the same time I hate playing with him because there is so much pressure on me because he wins with absolutely anyone he plays with."

The duo have played doubles together on a number of occasions, including the Laver Cup, and the 29-year-old American returned the compliment.

"I'll take it, coming from the guy who just made the crazy run at Wimby (Wimbledon)," Sock said.

"One of the most talented in the world as we know.

"Nick and I gel so well together on the court. On and off the court we have a blast, we have been friends for a long time off the court, starting with video games and here we are."

Rafael Nadal, who was unable to play Kyrgios in the Wimbledon semi-final due to an abdominal injury, is also on the entry list for the August 13-21 event, as is defending champion Alexander Zverev, who missed Wimbledon after injuring his ankle while playing Nadal in the French Open semis.

World No.1 Daniil Medvedev, who was banned from Wimbledon due to the Russian invasion of Ukraine, is on the entry list as is Djokovic.

However, the Serb is unlikely to play due to his refusal to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Travellers seeking to enter the United States have to provide proof of vaccination.

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting