Kyrgios injury-free ahead of Atlanta event

An injury-free stint has boosted Nick Kyrgios's confidence ahead of his first Atlanta Open

Australian Nick Kyrgios is in the best shape he has been in months and ready to make a run at the Atlanta Open.

The second seed will face American world No.164 Noah Rubin in the next round of the tournament on Wednesday, after a first-round bye.

Kyrgios has been dogged by elbow and hip issues for the past two years but says he's on top of his injuries going into the tournament.

"I'm in better shape than I was a couple of months ago," he told the ATP's official website.

"I've stayed injury-free, relatively, for the last couple of months, which is good ... I'm just staying on top of all that sort of stuff."

Kyrgios previously withstood intense heat and the serve of then three-time defending champion John Isner to take out the Atlanta Open in 2016.

It's a result he's hopeful he can repeat.

"I feel confident going into this tournament ... I definitely feel very comfortable in my surroundings here," he said.

Fellow Australians Thanasi Kokkinakis, James Duckworth and Alex Bolt were all knocked out of the Atlanta Open on Tuesday after first-round defeats.

Kokkinakis was beaten 6-3 6-4 by fellow qualifier Noah Rubin, with a break in each set enough for the American to claim the 84-minute win.

Duckworth pushed Ryan Harrison to three sets but was no match in the decider going down 4-6 7-6 (7-2) 6-1 to the American eighth seed.

Meanwhile, qualifier Bolt went down 6-4 6-1 to 2006 Australian Open finalist Marcos Baghdatis.

The match lasted just under an hour with Cypriot Baghdatis to now meet Frances Tiafoe.

The fifth-seeded American accounted for Marius Copil 6-4 6-4 in his opening round match while French sixth seed Jeremy Chardy eased past Ricardas Berankis 6-4 6-3.