Kingussie through after late goal against Beauly


For the second time in four years, Kingussie came from behind late to eliminate lower league Beauly from the Tulloch Camanachd Cup.

Only four minutes of extra time remained when Thomas Borthwick struck a 3-2 winner for the holders in their quarter-final at Braeview.

Lovat took another step towards their sixth final in nine seasons with a 3-1 victory over Skye at Balgate.

Oban Camanachd had a straightforward 5-2 home win over Lochaber and Fort William edged visitors Glasgow Mid Argyll 3-2.

Meanwhile, Glenurquhart are potentially one game away from relegation from the Mowi Premiership after losing 2-1 away to Kyles.

The game in Beauly was only three minutes old when Euan MacCormick shot the underdogs into a surprise lead. Savio Genini equalised early in the second half but Farquhar MacRae shot Beauly ahead again.

Just when it looked as if the National Division leaders were going to inflict Kingussie’s first defeat of the season, Dylan Borthwick secured extra time, which had also nearly expired when Thomas Borthwick grabbed the winner. In 2021 Kingussie only disposed of the same opponents with a 124th-minute equaliser leading to a shootout.

Marc MacLachlan and Lewis Tawse fired Lovat into a 2-0 half-time lead. Ross Gordon replied but a late second from Tawse confirmed it for Lovat.

Malcolm Clark had Camanachd ahead after just three minutes and although Stuart Callison soon equalised, Clark completed a hat-trick and Daniel MacVicar added two more while Stuart Callison converted a late penalty for Lochaber.

Victor Smith shot Fort into an early lead before Finlay MacMillan and Craig Anderson edged Mid Argyll ahead midway through the first half. Smith’s equaliser during the second period took the game to extra time, when Archie MacKinnon secured progress for Fort.

Ross MacRae gave Kyles a half-time lead at Tighnabruich. Daniel MacLean equalised and Scott MacDonald then took both points for the home side.

The National Division produced two draws - 2-2 between Col Glen and Inveraray while Bute and Kilmallie shared eight goals.