Rishi Sunak said he was "shocked and sad" after Buckingham Palace revealed the King's cancer diagnosis on Monday
On Tuesday, Sunak, 43, spoke about the King’s cancer diagnosis as he appeared on BBC Radio 5 Live.
“Obviously, like everyone else, shocked and sad, and just all our thoughts are with him and his family. Thankfully, this has been caught early,” Sunak said, adding that he hopes the King, 75, “gets the treatment that he needs and makes a full recovery.”
“That’s what we’re all hoping and praying for, and I’m of course in regular contact with him and will continue to communicate with him as normal,” he continued.
“He’ll be in our thoughts and our prayers, many families around the country listening to this will have been touched by the same thing and they know what it means to everyone. So we’ll just be willing him on and hopefully we can get through this as quickly as possible."
The politician was then asked if he had spoken to Charles and if their face-to-face meetings will continue, to which he replied, "We don't try to get into the details but I'm in regular contact with him as I always am and that will absolutely continue."
Buckingham Palace revealed on Monday that after undergoing a procedure to treat an enlarged prostate in January, the King had been diagnosed with a "form of cancer."
"During The King's recent hospital procedure for benign prostate enlargement, a separate issue of concern was noted. Subsequent diagnostic tests have identified a form of cancer," the palace said in a statement.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties. Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual," they continued.
"The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible," the statement added. "His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer."
Can't get enough of PEOPLE's Royals coverage? Sign up for our free Royals newsletter to get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
PEOPLE understands that Charles' sons Prince William and Prince Harry were told about the diagnosis personally by their father. A source said William, 41, is in regular contact with his father, while Harry, 39, is expected to travel to the U.K.
For more People news, make sure to sign up for our newsletter!
Read the original article on People.