King Charles III has cancer, Buckingham Palace have shared. Though the palace has not confirmed what type of cancer the 75-year-old monarch has, they have said it is not prostate cancer, following treatment for an enlarged prostate last month.
In a statement released on 5th February 2024, a palace spokesperson said (via Sky News): "His Majesty has been treated for benign prostate enlargement. It was during this intervention that the separate issue of concern was noted and subsequently diagnosed as a form of cancer. This second condition will now receive appropriate treatment."
A statement from Buckingham Palace added: "The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure.
"He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible. His Majesty has chosen to share his diagnosis to prevent speculation and in the hope it may assist public understanding for all those around the world who are affected by cancer."
— The Royal Family (@RoyalFamily) February 5, 2024
Last month in January 2024, the palace announced Charles was to undergo treatment in hospital for an enlarged prostate, releasing a statement at the time which read, "The King has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate. His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure. The King's public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
It's thought the King travelled from Sandringham to London this morning to begin treatment for cancer, and will step back from royal duties for the time being.
You Might Also Like