- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
- German tennis player
Former champion Angelique Kerber will contest the Australian Open without having had any match practice after a positive coronavirus test forced a delay to her departure to the season's first grand slam.
Germany's 2016 winner will miss a potential tune-up tournament in Sydney and travel only on Friday direct to Melbourne, where the Australian Open begins on January 17.
"I'm disappointed that I will miss the WTA event in Sydney but after I tested positive for COVID-19 last month, I had to adjust my plan due to the quarantine time," the 33-year-old said on Thursday on social media.
Kerber also had a difficult trip to last year's Open as she had to spend two weeks in quarantine before the tournament, having been a close contact to an infected person on her plane. She was then knocked out in the first round.
"I've done my medical check ad I hope that I'll be ready for the Australian Open," said Kerber, the world No.16 who will travel without a coach having split from Torben Beltz at the end of last season.